Peugeot 205 GTI 8v track/sprint car

Post pics of your car in here
SteveninNI

Re: Peugeot 205 GTI 8v track/sprint car

Post by SteveninNI »

I map quite a lot of english / scottish cars here in NI as boat isnt too bad. We do work for Scholar and Millington amoung others

Id be interested to do yours if you wanted (im NI DTA dealer) and I also sprint and hillclimb a 106.- 2007 hill champ and 2007 sprint champ. Your car soundslike a real nice bit of kit.

New fuel rail setup looks much more like it.

Steven Gault
SirYun

Post by SirYun »

Nice installation and quite a pace too, wish my projects would move half as fast.

Looking at you airbox i was wondering about air distribution as it feeds from the side and the trumpets are by the looks of it quite near the front of the airbox.

There of course many ways to crack a coconut (i have no practical experiences yet as i run open filter rampipes on carbs, but my next project is FI in a tiny and crowded engine compartiment hence i did a lot of research) but based on other peoples flowbench data, the needed space is the diameter of the trumpet of space above the trumpets to allow the air to turn.

is it possible to move the box forward on the trumpets ?

Judging from the picture there might be room to fit the airfilter in the middle of the box bottom feeding the center.

just my 2 cts.
Joost M. Riphagen
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

I'm too busy at work currently to dedicate any significant amount of time to the car.

Here are the pics of the new mechanical oil pressure gauge and braided line supplied by raceparts:

205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

SirYun wrote:based on other peoples flowbench data, the needed space is the diameter of the trumpet of space above the trumpets to allow the air to turn.
Can you clarify what you mean above ? I'm certainly interested in proven data in this area
205 8v Track car
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The available space from trumpet (rampipe) to airbox lid or other face must be min 1".

I used to think it was more, but that is what my flowbench suggests at 10" depression and it seems to be borne out as satisfactory in practice.

Raceparts instruments are superb, I have known and recommended Raceparts UK for many years. The other favorite I have is Elliot tachos, dreamy! Of course many people use dashboard displays by fuel inj software suppliers, DTA is first choice on many applications I do heads for.

GC
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Just a note, and one which had me frantically helping one of my fellow competitors out at Brands Hatch. He has a 306 with similar engine same braided oil line - his went the other way round the block and made a nice short circuit from starter motor to ground(admittedly he hadn't actually fitted the gauge) -this melted through the oil line, lost oil pressure, made a mess of the track. We plugged the oil sender hole - but unfortuantly the current had reached down the brake lines too meaning the rear brake circuit was lost and leaking fluid (they met through the bulk head). Braided lines are bad new at times, I'd be a little concerned about the positive connection on the alternator. Some convoluted wrap tames the braided hoses.

rich
Last edited by Rich Ellingham on April 22nd, 2008, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
book 38
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Yes, I second that, all capillary oil lines are a 'menace', braided or plastic.

A Midtec car (the one in my book) caught fire when I wsa driving it by the exactly means described by Rich, and my precious Lotus Lada nearly went up in smoke just before Top Gear arrived to film it when the plastic line over the back of the engine fell onto the ex header!

To be honest the alarm caused by massive clouds of oil smoke is often worse than the actual damage, if you catch it in time, which we did..

You must take care to route and tie them very securely.

GC
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Thanks for the advice. As I am wiring in the new ECU soon I have thought through and understand the importance of securing wires/lines. I'll post my efforts once complete for feedback
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

I have been so busy at work the last 3-4 weeks that no work has been done. Refreshingly I have the next week off and the week after that working from home, so plenty of time to get loads finished on the car I hope.

The catch tank has arrived, but now being slightly altered by QEP as my design wasn't quite right oops! I already have all the necessary piping here to plumb it in next week

Had a good chat with QEP also about the fuel rail and regulator design I want. Rather than getting an mi16 one altered, i'll have a KMS one mig welded onto the end of my existing fuel rail. So i'll still get rid of the current setup where there are 2 joints close to the exhaust manifold. The pressure gauge will also fit into the 3 way regulator.

I actually did some work on the car today. Yay!

The first job was to give the front calipers some attention. I haven't touched them in the 6 years or so since i've had them, and seeing as they are race calieprs with no dust seals that's probably 5 years too much :)

Here are some pics of what they look like currently:

Here's a pic of one cleaned up. All 4 pistons removed and cleaned up (baked on crud removed):

After that I turned my attention to the wiper motor. It's been in serious need of attention for a few years now, essentially only working on the fastest setting, and still stopping regularly.

Here's what it looked like inside:

All cleaned up now and back on. Will test it later next week when the new ECU also goes in.

Sean
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Well I couldn't get the heavy wiper motor bracket out of my mind. So I lightened it, from 270g to 215g; that's 25% lighter.

Then I made up my new mini fuse board. Mounted the ECU, Fuse Box and Relay Box. With holes in the rear for wire access:

205 8v Track car
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Very good!

And what do you weigh? Any savings there?*

How to make friends at an oval meeting:

17 stone driver - 'this *** engine's like a carthorse, I'm miles off the pace'.
GC - 'try losing lose a few stone and you might go a bit quicker.'

GC

* rare attempt at humour.
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Finally I have some parts returned to allow me to complete the final stages of the recent mini projects i've undertaken.

First up is the upgraded breather system.

After doing the research I've previously posted about, it's funny how many conversations/items i've read recently about this area, if only I had come across this area previously. Anyhoo, I designed the catch tank and breather setup, the catch tank was made about 4 weeks ago but wouldn't fit properly, so it needed modification. It's back now so I was able to crack on with the install.

Here is the new catch tank in it's new home. I decided that as it has 3 breather pipes, it needed more than 1 air filter.

Here are the pipes from the block, note that the old oil filler outlet is now a breather.

Here is the new cam cover with the relocated breather outlet. I can't believe Peugeot placed the original breather directly above the cam. I suppose as the standard RPM limit is 6700 now raised to 8200 needs this area looked at. So I asked QEP when modifying the cam cover for a new oil filler cap, so also fit a baffle for the breather, here it is:

Here's the new camcover and oil filler cap

And with the breather pipe hooked up to the catch tank:

Next up is the fuel rail mods.

Previously I had an adjustable pressure regulator and it was mounted on the bulkhead, in close proximity to the exhaust manifold.

As I'm going 8 injectors, therefore needing changes to the pipework, I decided to make a few changes.

First up was to move from the adjustable FSE regulator to a fixed item. then I wanted it located on the end of the fuel rail, meaning there were no fuel line joins all the way back to the tank (well as far as the fuel filter close to the tank)

It took a lot of though/discussion but QEP came up trumps. I bought a KMS fixed 3 bar regulator and housing. Then they modified the existing fuel rail to change the push on fitting to screw type so the regulator housing could be fitted on the end.

Here's the results:

Spot the hole for the regulator (well a mini one) Matt didn't have any 3 bar ones in stock only 4 bar, so i'll get that soon. You can see how neat the new install is now (ignore the temp old pipework)

A few other nice touches:

I previously had the vacuum hose coming straight out of the top of the inlet manifold and connected directly to the servo running across the cam cover.

I (finally) located a 90 degree elbow fitting with the correct 1/8th NPT male thread and 10mm push on fitting for the hose. Some nice new vacuum hose to boot:

Next up is the advice from Miles. I blocked off one of the water pipes that are no longer needed with the removal of the heater. So I purchased some blanking plugs (i'm yet to add the 2nd clamps):

you can also see the new Sagem coil pack that was standard fit for later 205s/405s running electronic ignition rather than a distributor. the coil fits to the later thermostat housing a treat

Lastly there's the oil pressure monitoring upgrades:

As well as the new mechanical oil pressure gauge line, i've ditched the useless OE low oil pressure switch that comes on at about 8 PSI for my old adjustable item, an adapter plus was needed to convert the thread from m16x1.5 to 1/8 NPT

So now I have the following oil pressure monitoring:

1 - mechanical gauge
2 - ECU controlled oil pressure warning light (configurable via ECU but expected to be set around ~30 PSI. this will be hooked up to a bright light and will mean, take notice there's a real oil surge issue here. Note the ECU will also control that only over certain revs will it come on, so you don’t get a tan just by pulling up at the lights or switching the ignition on
3 - Mechanical oil pressure warning light which is hooked up to a smaller light on the dash, and will be set to 45 PSI irrelevant of revs, so provide a very early warning to oil pressure issues, and a backup for the ECU controlled version. Yes i'm taking oil pressure monitoring very seriously

Lastly here's a complete picture of how it looks, rather good compared to before xmas version:

new:

old (befiore xmas):

205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Guy Croft wrote:The available space from trumpet (rampipe) to airbox lid or other face must be min 1".

I used to think it was more, but that is what my flowbench suggests at 10" depression and it seems to be borne out as satisfactory in practice.

Raceparts instruments are superb, I have known and recommended Raceparts UK for many years. The other favorite I have is Elliot tachos, dreamy! Of course many people use dashboard displays by fuel inj software suppliers, DTA is first choice on many applications I do heads for.

GC
I went out and checked, and i've got about 31mm..so a little more than an inch

I recently have bought some twin headlights, and so intend to run a forced induction pipe from one of the lights....i'll post more when I have more details.
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Guy Croft wrote:Very good!

And what do you weigh? Any savings there?*
Well more than I used to, but not too bad on the whole :D

The car in generally is seriously light for an amateur effort, it's about 750kgs currently with all fluids and enough fuel for a track session of laps. More to come over time (or should that be less to come...)

Sean
205 8v Track car
smckeown

Post by smckeown »

Well it's been a while but i've been crackin g on and finishing a number of jobs. To re-cap the car has been off the road since November 2007 for the following mods:

- DTA ECU
- 8 Injectors
- Race manifold (equal length headers)
- Custom Dash
- Custom breather setup

It's taken a while but the end is near. The car is booked in to be mapped in 2 weeks so the pressure is on to get it running again, and all those little jobs to be completed. Who ever prefessed about the 80/20 rule was on the money!

First up I reconditioned the hi-spec race calipers that hadn't been touched in about 4 years!

Here's a pic of the back of the block, this is the other half of the pipe that has been blocked off:

This is the best item i've ever bought from an internet auction site (amazing for solo brake bleeding):

I took the opportunity to refesh the fluid with something decent:

I'm a bit worried about this washer, can you buy them seperately?:

Finally onto the piece de resistance. The DTA Install. Thanks to the help from many forums the wiring was proven today and worked fine and dandy. Unfortunately a nasty fuel leak stopped the starting, so i'll investigate tomorrow:

The rubber boots will make contact with the bulkhead making for a vibration free install.
205 8v Track car