MYTE128's Fiat 128 4 door

Post pics of your car in here
myte128

MYTE128's Fiat 128 4 door

Post by myte128 »

Hello there. I have been sitting back watching and reading for a while now and finally I have got around to posting a pic of my car.

It’s an Italian assembled 1974 Fiat 128 4 door with some minor modifications. I have had it for about 2 years now after snaffling it off my Dad. He was drawn to it because it was exactly the same model and colour of his previous 128 (which met a tree head on in a local hill climb a few months prior).It was on the side of the road in Wellington looking sorry for itself, so Dad contacted the owner. As luck would have it the owner wanted to get rid of it because it wasn’t running.

Dad reluctantly handed over a six pack in exchange for the keys and towed it to the closest petrol station. After giving the not running 128 a $5 drink (a fair amount 12 years ago), Dad was surprised to find there was life in the little beastie yet. And you could imagine Dad’s glee when he realised how he had just scored big time! Some rust had to be removed, and all the bits and pieces from the old 128 got stuck onto the ‘new’ one and Dad was as happy as Larry, maybe happier.

Y2K came around and Dad was diagnosed with cancer which obviously came as a rather large shock to the family. The 128 sat in the garage and sulked for a few years while Dad was recovering from the chemotherapy. (BTW, Dad has a clean bill of health now and is celebrating his 60th today!). Mum, obviously happy that Dad was still around, was less than happy about the unused car clogging up the limited garage space. This is where I stepped in to offer my help.

I graciously offered to take the 128 to my home in Auckland, where I would paint it and care for it. Mum thought that was a great idea and Dad has asked to have it back every week since. ‘Shame really. It took me a few months to sand it back and prep it for the 3Litres of primer, 4Litres of base coat and 2Litres of clear. It has been painted for exactly a year now and I am yet to polish it back for that showroom shine. That will be happening soon (it's a crappy job so I am procrastinating).

It gets used about two or three times a month, going to the beach or the market or something like that. The kids love it! "Lets go in the noisy car" they say. I say "yes, Let's!". The wife says "can't we go in air conditioned comfort?"

Anyway, here’s what has been done to it as far as I can remember. Enjoy.

-1100cc engine replaced with 1301cc Uno engine
-1100cc head lightly polished
-32DMTR
-4-2-1 exhaust manifold from 128 coupe
-Slightly lighter and balanced flywheel
-balanced crank and rods etc
-128 wagon gearbox (lower final drive)
-1 3/4" exhaust with random sports mufflers
-Custom made front and rear suspension, made out of Golf Gti, Corolla Gti and standard 128 suspension parts
-3 leaf 128 wagon rear
-14x6" ROH alloys with 185/55 Bridgestones
-Autosport race seat
-earlier model honeycomb grill
-126 steering wheel
-124 rev counter mounter on pillar
-sound proofing removed

Future mods are
-Croma Turbo 257mm vented front discs
-Uno Turbo 227mm rear discs
-getting the servo up and running again
-getting rid of the curious shudder at >90Kph
-34DMTR maybe and very mild cam
-or Uno Turbo engine

Thanks for reading.

Scott.
Attachments
Me when I stole it off Dad.
Me when I stole it off Dad.
fiat 128 starting point.jpg (89.51 KiB) Viewed 3901 times
Day at the park.
Day at the park.
IMG_1653_1_1_1.JPG (212.33 KiB) Viewed 3900 times
The girls in the back telling me to hurry up.
The girls in the back telling me to hurry up.
IMG_1657_1_1.JPG (178.41 KiB) Viewed 3897 times
Mock up of a stripe I am thinking of doing.
Mock up of a stripe I am thinking of doing.
IMG_1458_1_1_1.JPG (171.17 KiB) Viewed 3894 times
thank you, Scott.