Fiat 124 Sport Coupe Racecar

Post pics of your car in here
Walezy

Re: Fiat 124 Sport Coupe Racecar

Post by Walezy »

My car (131 abarth replica) has the 16v tipo head and I use it in rallies where the homologated version of the car is allowed to start. I have just explained that this is the only way to see this car on the stages as the original parts are too expensive or hard to get so the marshals just let me drive the car. Just to mention, 8v head is not allowed as it was not homologated in 131 abarth. Maybe it is a good thing to try to speak to the marshals if they let the car go in your country as the head combustion chambers look to be the same in both old and new head(only 180deg swapped).
Book#378
vcg

Post by vcg »

Hi Walezy,

In various FIA historic circuit races I have participated all 131 8v race with the 131 Racing homologation, which is actually a very complete one. To race FIA with an abarth replica the head is probably the least of your concerns, as there are very serious issues such as independent rear suspension, shock towers, chassis transverses, etc. All 131 abarth replicas I know of race in Gr5-Gr6 as prototypes and not as 131 Abarths in D class. You are very lucky to get away with it, just by using a Tipo head and have exhaust and carbs other way round...

PS: One can use an Integrale rear suspension as well and claim it's a similar IRS to the abarth one, but it won't pass in FIA.

Take Care,
Vassilis
124 BS1, 124 BC1, 131 Racing, E Type 4.2 SII, XJ-S 3.6
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

I actually have made IRS by myself to a very simmilar design as the Abarth was made(had an original to compare) and it works very good. I also have the front suspension made in a way abarth cars have it(TCA and sway bar mounted in ifferent place).
I did not want to use Integrale rear suspension due to it,s weak design(I used to have Integrale). I know it is not 100% original and i do not hide this but it is a fun car to drive and also quite fast(only the driver is not able to get 100% from the car)
Book#378