Evo 1 from Greece

Post pics of your car in here
KOSTAS XENAKOS

Evo 1 from Greece

Post by KOSTAS XENAKOS »

Hello to all the members.

It's my honor to be in such a nice company.

My name is Kostas, as you can see, and I'm from Greece. I own an Evo1 Integrale Bianco, light tuned to 358hp.

And here she is:

The engine is full stock oem Lancia, Pistons, Head gasket, injectors, cams, Turbo(T35) etc.

There is a custom made Holtzer Manifold designed by me, with Turbonetics external waste gate, exhaust pipe 84mm, lighter pulleys made by aircraft aluminioum metal, PMC intercooler, new oil cooling radiator, up grated fuel pump(255lt/h), Magnecor spark plugs, PSS Suspension, Ferrodo brake pads, rear strut bar and rear dif strut bar, silent blocks, up grated clutch up to 70kg, and remapping by me.
The car is working 1.8 (max 2.1 on special occasions) bar turbo boost more than 2 years now and it's perfect for what it is.
The 358hp, came out with 1.9bar boost (which is the limit of the stock injectors A/F=12.9:1) on the dyno.

I'm working on a new engine, which is almost done, planning to "end" the new turbo - GT35/40. And it will! Thanks to Guy, I found a couple of details that helped me out with the cylinder head. :idea:

Here are some more photos of my lady :!:

Thank you for your time.
Last edited by KOSTAS XENAKOS on August 15th, 2007, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Kostas, hi

thanks for the great photos of a super car! I like the action shot of the car especially, something we never get, dunno why..

And guys, check out the weather! Living in Greece and owning an Integrale, sigh..!

GC
(it's raining again)
KOSTAS XENAKOS

Post by KOSTAS XENAKOS »

Hello again.

Guy, thank you for your good words. It's really nice to meet people all around the world sharing the same "feelings".

I attach a photo from the dynno. It's more than a year since then though.

Actually, the only thing that "died" after 2 years working like that, was the turbo housing....Too much pressure and heat for the stock one....so it cracked...on the outside...

But it doesn't matter any more...New member joined the family. :!:

Regards.
Attachments
GT 35/82 New member in the family.
GT 35/82 New member in the family.
χμμμμ.jpg (54.64 KiB) Viewed 9689 times
My "2nd" External waste gate. It looks small, but it isn't.
My "2nd" External waste gate. It looks small, but it isn't.
DSC00971R.JPG (70.41 KiB) Viewed 9689 times
On the Dynno running 2.1 Bar boost.
On the Dynno running 2.1 Bar boost.
DSC00365R.JPG (36.73 KiB) Viewed 9689 times
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Hi Kostas,
Great choice of car BTW! :) Looks great with those 17" (Speedline?) wheels, i'm thinking about that upgrade myself. I can live with the tramlining for the massive choice of tyres you can get for 17s.

It must be a weak point in the T3 because that's EXACTLY where my turbo has cracked!

A dab of high quality stainless tig at each end should keep it at bay until i can afford a new one.
Guy
Last edited by Infectus-Guy on November 29th, 2007, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mats

Post by Mats »

I've had a couple of Alfa Romeo 75 turbo turbos (Garret TB0353) crack exactly like that and I think more or less every Alfa 75 have that problem.
Ususally it's taken care of by heat expansion though, not that I'msaying it's not an issue but you probably won't need to weld it before replacing.
/Mats Strandberg
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I did an awful lot of work on turbocharger failures at Napier. In fact as Chief Engr Product Support that was pretty well all I did. That cracking is most likely due to differential thermal expansion across what looks like a very rigid bolted joint. I would be looking at some bellows or other connection betw manifold and turbo in the first instance.

However even the strongest high Si Mo alloy SG irons (and Napier had some of the world's best at their disposal) only have a pretty low UTS at high temp and if you insist on putting very high turbine entry temperatures thru them, they are going to fracture however well you design and array them..

GC
KOSTAS XENAKOS

Post by KOSTAS XENAKOS »

Hello again.

Infectus-Guy,

the wheels are the Compomotive TH2 8x17. The only tyre you can use without destroying the plastic covers in the front, is 215/40/17. Any other size will come in touch with the plastics at the wheel ends when turning, and burn them.

About the turbo now. It was a T35 and was fitted on the car from the factory. I only did a 360 thrust and nothing more. It lasted enough since 1991 though!

The problem with the turbine housing started from the first picture.

Because of the external waste gate, the internal was useless, so it had to be welded. The mistake was that we didn't "cross" weld it, as you can see, and as a result was that the waste gate slam door stayed closed only from one side, and the crack that created by the high exhaust temperature (1.000C degrees over 1.9 Bar)"walking" faster than it should, at the outside....

But that was just a very good reason to start fitting on the car the new engine that I built, with all it's goodies...

By the way, Guy,

I think that you should start thinking very seriously to start writing a book...Don't let all that knowledge and research be gone. :!:

Kostas.
Attachments
This is the crack leading out. I "ate" the "U" from the exhaust word....
This is the crack leading out. I "ate" the "U" from the exhaust word....
DSC00965R.JPG (84.5 KiB) Viewed 9313 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Putting a hole thru something is about the best stress raiser you can make, so in the case so well illustrated above it would definitely be worth putting a generous and nicely polished radius on things like that.

GC

Book, thanks, see GC V/W, I am working on one.