Correct oil filter!

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
turbofiat

Re: Correct oil filter!

Post by turbofiat »

Guy Croft wrote:You in USA are spared EU regulations regarding scrappage and a million other things!
Here it is a very different story.

G
One thing that always amazes me is if I cannot find a part through a Fiat part vendor, I can sometimes find it through a discount autoparts store like your Halfords. And these stores make the bulk of their money on selling car parts for American cars.

I've got a 68 Ford Fairlane and most of these places has parts for this car in stock! Just the other day I bought a headlamp and a dimmer switch which were in stock. Too bad they were made in India... Of course these same parts fit just about any Ford from that era and Ford built the same amount of Fairlanes just in 1968 as Pininfarina did with the 124 Spider over a course of almost 20 years.

One time I called around looking for a SOHC thermostat. Three vendors told me this part was on back order for three months!!! So I called NAPA and they got me one with in a week for around US$10. Advance autoparts could get me one but it was a special order part directly from the manufacturer and was US$40 and could take a month.

On the other hand Advance got me the "correct length" of American made Bendix front Yugo brake hoses. Spider and X 1/9 hoses would work if they were only 3 inches longer but none of the Fiat vendors sells them!

And the only Yugo specalist in the USA could not get me a lower radiator hose. Once again Advance came to the rescue and even had one in stock! It was a cut to fit hose but once I trimmed 2" off one end and 3" off the other it was identical to the original hose.

I'm not bashing Fiat part suppliers, I order from them all the time and try to order from them before going to discount autopart store but I'm just saying if someone tells me a part is going to take 3 months to get it because they are all using the same supplier, I'm going to look somewheres else.
124 Spider, Yugo,131
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

My parts shop is helpful and starts asking around for me if their regular suppliers don't have stuff. If you're a regular customer and your parts suppliers value their business, that is what they will do. I can totally understand they won't bother for someone they've never seen before asking something difficult. They get 50 of those a day and if they get 3 sales out of it if they were to pursue all those enquries, they'd be lucky. Once they know you are serious and you are a return customer, they tend to go the extra mile.

I'll be asking them for "proper" oil filters for my regular cars. I know they'll have to spend time finding them, but they will do so and I'll be buying those from now on. Not only that, but they'll probably be recommending them to other "classical car enthusiasts" and motorheads once they have them. Works for me, works for them.
Book #348
turbofiat

Post by turbofiat »

WhizzMan wrote:My parts shop is helpful and starts asking around for me if their regular suppliers don't have stuff. If you're a regular customer and your parts suppliers value their business, that is what they will do. I can totally understand they won't bother for someone they've never seen before asking something difficult. They get 50 of those a day and if they get 3 sales out of it if they were to pursue all those enquries, they'd be lucky. Once they know you are serious and you are a return customer, they tend to go the extra mile.

I'll be asking them for "proper" oil filters for my regular cars. I know they'll have to spend time finding them, but they will do so and I'll be buying those from now on. Not only that, but they'll probably be recommending them to other "classical car enthusiasts" and motorheads once they have them. Works for me, works for them.
Most of the autopart chains here will do the same. If I need a part for something and they don't have it in stock, they will usually call one of their competiters literally next door to see if they have it.

I hate going to the dealership for parts which I seldom do because they love to rape "walk-ins" like me who don't own a business and just come in off the street to order parts I can't get at discount auto parts chains.

I lost a "button" that secures the trim to tailgate on my Subaru Baja at the car wash the other day. Since there were only 30,000 of these Legacy Utes produced that meant a trip to the dealership. That button was US$10!! Just for a piece of plastic the size of a button! I was going to substitute a universal trim button but figured it would stick out like a sore thumb.

Getting back to the original thread. I have an interesting link on oil filters where someone cut several brands apart for inspection. With Guy's permission I'll post it.
124 Spider, Yugo,131
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

I have an interesting link on oil filters where someone cut several brands apart for inspection.
I've seen that link and really reveals and explains the differences. Very interesting.
Luckily my Mann(German made - not Brazilian) came out well in the tests.
twincamspit

Post by twincamspit »

Just one quick last question.... I've been using 20lb ft on the torque wrench when refitting the oil housing back to the block, also a tiny smear of non-setting hermatite instant gasket each side of the Fiat 4135604 gasket (although I have wondered what would happen if any bits of that instant gasket broke away and ended up circulating?!).

The 20lb ft was a guess, sllightly lower than the similar settings to the oil pressure sensor setting, and as far as I can see it's never leaked.

Any advice on whether I'm doing it right? And whether I should really be avoiding the smear of instant gasket? Is it overkill?

Thanks!
GC_42
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Those mating faces (housing & block) are fully machined and if free of scratches & high spots (we always dress them with a carborundun stone) the only thing I use on the gasket is some oil or WD40 which helps it to compress.

The mounting bolts are M10 and 20lbf ft is a bit on the low side, the OE setting is 49Nm (36lbf ft). Put some oil on the bolt underhead region and copper anti-seize on the threads.

G
ChrisSRT

Post by ChrisSRT »

the first time I went to the autoparts store to get a oil filter for my spider, I got home and found I already had 2 in the garage. Same filter Dodge uses for my Gen III Viper.
Chris
#290 of 500
twincamspit

Post by twincamspit »

Guy Croft wrote:Those mating faces (housing & block) are fully machined and if free of scratches & high spots (we always dress them with a carborundun stone) the only thing I use on the gasket is some oil or WD40 which helps it to compress.

The mounting bolts are M10 and 20lbf ft is a bit on the low side, the OE setting is 49Nm (36lbf ft). Put some oil on the bolt underhead region and copper anti-seize on the threads.

G
Excellent, thanks for the advice Guy. I went for a lower figure to be on the safe side, the idea of snapping the bolt didn't appeal!
Wish I'd asked you earlier. I simply could not find the torque setting listed in any of my Haynes 124, 125, 131, 132/Agenta or Lancia Beta books. Although I have noticed that even when Haynes do publish torque figures for engines that appear in different models they often vary hugely between the models. For example, the 124 haynes manual has 2 columns for torque settings, one column for original 124 engines and another for the 132-series engine in the 124; very nice of them... except that the 132 settings don't match the ones listed in the 132 haynes manual!

Without going too far off subject for this thread, is there anywhere I can get OE settings for other things (e.g. crank pulley nut, I know there's an interesting thread on that already!) rather than me taking an average of the figures in the Haynes books?
GC_42