ALS and Launch Control on Lancia Delta Integrale

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Turbohead

ALS and Launch Control on Lancia Delta Integrale

Post by Turbohead »

Hello,

As Nikola Radenkovic (RPLab) has implemented ALS and Launch Control algorithms for RP control units, my car was one of the first two cars to test the new control strategies, do the data acquisition, based on which further algorithm improvement was to be done.

Both systems (ALS and LC) are already installed on my ECU through a reflash, LC is already finished and it is delivering full boost while the vehicle is stationary (before releasing the clutch).

Current ALS is set to mild version due to the restricted airflow of the stock ICV (idle control valve). We are doing the necessary modifications to my engine to prepare the hardware needed for a more aggressive ALS.
We are adding a secondary modified high flow ICV (idle control valve) donated from a Fiat Coupe Turbo powered only when ALS system is engaged (see pictures). This modification involved removing the intake manifold (very time consuming and painful task on a Delta 8v) and opening a hole in it to feed air from the secondary ICV.

We decided to remove the stock EGR system from the vehicle and in its place on the intake manifold we installed the ICV which was almost a direct fit as the mounting hole pattern on the Fiat Coupe ICV adapter was almost identical to the mounting hole pattern of the EGR valve with 1.5mm spacing difference, this difference was compensated with mounting bolts reground (from 6mm to 4.5mm) in the area protruding in ICV! We bored out the small EGR hole in the intake manifold through which the secondary ICV will feed air to the engine and fastened the ICV directly to the engine.
While the manifold was out of the engine we addressed some of its cosmetic issues, painted the manifold in red and brought a section of the manifold face to mirror finish by polishing it.

A question to Guy: While the intake manifold is still out of the engine is there anything worth modifying in it before installing it back? We wouldn't like to have to remove it again for something we can do now :o)

Thank you,

Ernest
Attachments
Photo of the modified intake manifold with secondary ICV installed (side view).
Photo of the modified intake manifold with secondary ICV installed (side view).
ALS Intake 2.JPG (80.56 KiB) Viewed 14085 times
Photo of the modified intake manifold with secondary ICV installed (angled view).
Photo of the modified intake manifold with secondary ICV installed (angled view).
ALS intake.JPG (66.74 KiB) Viewed 14086 times
Photo of the modified intake manifold with secondary ICV installed (front view)
Photo of the modified intake manifold with secondary ICV installed (front view)
ALS intake 1.JPG (96.69 KiB) Viewed 14088 times
Photo of the modified ICV.
Modified IAC 1.JPG (51.81 KiB) Viewed 14087 times
Modified IAC.JPG (53.34 KiB) Viewed 14087 times
Photo of the intake manifold after porting the hole for the seconday ICV.
Photo of the intake manifold after porting the hole for the seconday ICV.
Intake after porting.JPG (90.56 KiB) Viewed 14088 times
Photo of the intake manifold before porting the hole for secondary ICV (originaly designed for EGR valve).
Photo of the intake manifold before porting the hole for secondary ICV (originaly designed for EGR valve).
Intake before porting.JPG (76.52 KiB) Viewed 14087 times
Photo of Delta Integrale 8v KAT stock engine bay.
Photo of Delta Integrale 8v KAT stock engine bay.
Delta before ALS.JPG (113.86 KiB) Viewed 14087 times
Turbohead

Post by Turbohead »

Update

Finished the installation of ALS system in my Delta (see photo), the system works just as expected, engine produces boost on part throttle and turbo lag is unnoticeable during gearchanges.
In ICP software we set the ALS to moderate settings and we already had problems with stock exhaust components, the backbox split open from the explosions and the exhaust manifold got glowing red during ALS activity (see attached photos).
The system can be set to agresive settings and produce even more boost at part throttle or gearchanges however stock exhaust parts and turbo will not endure.

This indicates that stronger exhaust components and turbo are needed to use ALS successfully.
Attachments
Photo of Delta Integrale 8v Kat exhaust manifold taken after 5 minutes of driving with ALS on.
Photo of Delta Integrale 8v Kat exhaust manifold taken after 5 minutes of driving with ALS on.
Glowing manifold2.JPG (23.05 KiB) Viewed 14001 times
Photo of the Delta Integrale 8v Kat exhaust backbox after it got split open as a result of ALS.
Photo of the Delta Integrale 8v Kat exhaust backbox after it got split open as a result of ALS.
Exploded exhaust1.JPG (61.15 KiB) Viewed 14000 times
Photo of the engine bay of Delta Integrale 8v Kat after the installation of ALS.
Photo of the engine bay of Delta Integrale 8v Kat after the installation of ALS.
ALS Pro.jpg (102.36 KiB) Viewed 13999 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Surely this must cause damage to a catalytic converter too?

GC
Turbohead

Post by Turbohead »

Well, it is all about how you set your ALS parameters. To protect cat from excessive heat, one would have to resort to somewhat milder setup than I used (I don't have cat at all). The most important thing is of course the air flow through the engine with throttle closed during ALS activity. The more air (fuel will be metered accordingly), the more heat will be generated and transferred to turbo and exhaust system. To make further protection, one could reduce ALS timeout, then it is also less likely the heat created will make some damage, at the price of turbo lag being present to some greater extent in comparison to my setup.

Ernest
Acki

Post by Acki »

How it works?
I don't "see" the system with this valve.

Can you explain it?

Do you "remove" air from the system to get a rich mixture?
Lui

Post by Lui »

This valve allow air to enter the intake manifold when the throttle is closed.
Acki

Post by Acki »

And this makes a lean mixture? Or what happens?
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Acki,

There are different types of ALS, but basically this one works like this:

The throttle is closed and the additional air valve opens, the existing injectors* keep on firing, the air sweeps the mix into the cylinders, but the ignition timing is altered so it doesn't ignite, it simply gets swept out of the exhaust valve where it meets the hot manifold and hot turbo, this instantly ignites the mix which turns the turbo. As you can imagine it goes with quite a pop or bang (dependant on the type of exhaust system and how aggressive your ALS is) and so can (in theory) also shorten the life of the turbo. Because it is predominantly for competition use the life of the turbo is not seen as a disadvantage.

* One of the other types of systems uses a 5th injector in the exhaust manifold/turbo housing instead of utilising the engines injectors, this is more efficient.

Hope this helps,
Martin.
Acki

Post by Acki »

Ahh understand.
Do you use the stock ECU (and fake the AFM signal?!) or an extra ECU for this?
This system looks easy and cheap :-)

Are you sure that anybody use a 5th injector IN the exhaust manifold? Because of the temperatures?!
I only knew the way to make a rich mixture and altered the ignition.

By the way, the picture of your muffler looks funny ;-) I think it should be clear that you need a free flow muffler.

/edit:
I have thought about this mod.
The same effect I have when I let run my engine in the rev limiter.
When I set the rev limit down on idle I have a ALS I think.
Or what do you think?
mpampis_

Re: ALS and Launch Control on Lancia Delta Integrale

Post by mpampis_ »

Hello turbohead, even this post is old, i hope you, or someone else could help me.
Recentry i sent my ecu to RP-LAB for modification and i already bought a second idle valve for mild ALS system. i read the wiring diagram as it is in the site, but i would like to help me with the relay's pins.

tell me please if you can witch pin of the relay goes where? and from witch pin to where is going the diode

thank you in advance to anyone who knows info about that