Electric water pump and power saving?

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
nabihelosta

Re: Electric water pump and power saving?

Post by nabihelosta »

Whizzman

The battery is 200Ah not 20Ah. Its dimensions are: L=22cm, l=11cm, h=14cm. It weighs a mere 4.3 kgs.

Those wonderful power sources do exist, though not widely available to public and rarely used because of their cost.
I first saw them in a Skoda Fabia S2000 WRC, then in Nasser Al Atiyah Ford Fiesta S2000 competing for the World Rally Championship in Jordan last year.
We source them from a famous rally-car preparator in Abu Dhabi called Ivan, who buys them from Japan I think, and uses them in Grp A Mitsubishi EVO 10 along with the R4 lightweight kits.
My battery cost me 800$, and it's used. New ones are sold for 1400$ here.
I like to stay on the safe side, keeping in mind that having a standard battery of 55Ah, and losing an alternator belt in the middle of a stage for any reason, will result in a power drop, leading to a necessity to re-map the Motec M800 from zero. Costs 1500$ + a lost race. See?

Nabih
HORSEPOWERunlimited
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

That must not be a normal lead/acid battery then, but Lithium Ion or comparable technology. Those should have their own charging circuit, either inside the battery or an external box. You may still want to monitor charging currents, no use in over revving the generator and it might be dangerous to reliability if you under rev it on "longer" races.
Book #348
turbofiat

Post by turbofiat »

nabihelosta wrote:Sorry it's been too late since my last post, but we got caught into the worst weather storm ever to hit the country, snow was everywhere, so we didn't do much on the car.

This week we re-started our preparations, as the first hillclimb is taking place on 29-4. The Dog-leg gearbox will be arriving this week.
I will post some trial fitting pictures of the alternator. We altered the fitting position, moving it to fit at the rear diff cover, and driving it with a pulley attached to the CV joint flange, the one that fits in the diff.

I tested it yesterday, jacking the car and starting it. The charging light turns off at 55km/h for the 1st time, then keeps charging (14V constant) even when the speed drops to 25km/h. Pulleys ratio is 3.75:1.

Enough talking, here's the pics. (Sorry for the bad quality of the brackets and equipment, it's only a trial fitting. Final brackets will be made from Dural alloy.)
Interesting! What car did you say this was on? How did you fit a pulley between the CV joint and axle?

Here are some photos of my 1500 Fiat X 1/9 engine I put in my Yugo. I'm trying to figure out how to mount an A/C compressor on this engine and your idea sounds like a possible solution if I can't fit either to my engine.

I can see why Fiat offset the exhaust manifold discharge flange on the UNOs.

I've got a plan though. I'm planning on moving the alternator back to it's original position and mount the A/C compressor where the alternator is located. I have better luck trying to mount an alternator beside the turbo as I do a compressor.
Attachments
Yugo-1.jpg
Yugo-1.jpg (74.23 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
Yugo1-1.jpg
Yugo1-1.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
Yugo2-1.jpg
Yugo2-1.jpg (78.12 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
Yugo3-1.jpg
Yugo3-1.jpg (77.73 KiB) Viewed 6304 times
124 Spider, Yugo,131
nabihelosta

Post by nabihelosta »

This setup is on a 1990 BMW M3 race car.

Not really a difficult thing to do, especially for the pulley on the CV joint's flange though.
There is a BMW OE flange which has it already. It's borrowed to the '82 635i Alpina B7S turbo (330bhp stock).
This car has something rarely seed on road cars: It has a pump bolted to the diff, driven by a belt from the flange, which pumps the diff oil through an oil-to-air cooler mounted under the car (bolted to the bodyshell). It is declared that the intention was to keep the diff oil cooler, as those cars were intended to drift competitions in their OE specs, and/or for longer racing series like Le Mans or Trans Am where it should maintain a speed of over 200Km/h for some 5 to 24 hours.
It even has a diff temperature gauge on the dashboard.

Nabih
HORSEPOWERunlimited
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi!

For Your information the power loss from pumping the water around in 2 liter 124 is 6hp @ 6800 rpm. Discovered this during a dyno run when a frost plug decided to jump out. The power immidiately climbed by 6 hp;-)

Remi
GC_45
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

SIX HORSEPOWER WELL SPENT

G
Guy Croft, owner