Tuning my 1800 Spider, advice and suggestions

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
FMO

Tuning my 1800 Spider, advice and suggestions

Post by FMO »

Hi!

I need some advices or suggestions from others who has been through the same process :-)

I have a Fiat Spider 1800 , 1974 mod . The engine is totally rebuilt before I purchased the car from Steven Walker in Arizona.
I would like to get some more power from the engine. So I have just bought double Solex 40PII6 with manifold and original airfilter, which I will install in my Spider.

Are the other things I should do, or have to do, when I use these carburators? New cams, exhaust etc etc. ?

You can see what has been done to the engine at my homesite: http://home.online.no/~ellholt/fiat124s ... modell.cfm

Best regards from Norway

Fred Michel Ostojic
vandor

Needed modifications

Post by vandor »

Hello,

You don't have to make any mods when installing dual carburators (I see from your web page that the engine already has higher than the stock US-spec compression), but fast-road cams and/or an exhaust header would help increase power.
Not sure what ignition system you have, but if you have points I'd strongly recommend converting to some form of electronic ignition.
BTW, where did you get the nice Fiat hornbutton for the Nardi steering wheel?
bye,

Csaba
FMO

Post by FMO »

Thank You for the answer. I think I will only install the carburators, and see what kind of power i get.
The Fiat horn button , I found at an internet auction site :-)

regards
FMO