Vortex, swirl and intake flow

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Piero

Vortex, swirl and intake flow

Post by Piero »

Just a stab in the dark, as I was reading through a tuning book and whilst looking at a drawing of how the gasses move in the port and mainly around the valve, I struck apon a thought about cutting grooves in the inlet tract, to create a swirling effect in order to even out the flow rate around the vavle.
It is only a thought, and I have not thought about the pros and cons much either.
Just wondering if its worth spending any time on the idea, or is it a no no, or has it even been done?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Doesn't need it and it will probably upset the flowrate, the TC uses squish bands to generate swirl; try the site search facility (bold), there is a fair it on it.
Best not to tamper with what the head/engine comes with frankly.

GC
Piero

Post by Piero »

I was thinking more of the inlet track, to keep gases even around the back of the vavle/stem.
Looking at the drawing, it shows gases moving faster on the long side of the inlet track, if gases could hit the vavle evenly, I thought it might flow more.
Was even hoping the vortex might help pull the gas alonge.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

As with all production heads there is a finite amount of flow you can get, sometimes determined by proximity of coolant galleries. I have tried everything I can to get ultimate inlet flow on the TC head by trying to get good flow right around the valve, what you're suggesting would not work, sorry.

GC
Piero

Post by Piero »

O well, there goes that thought.
Thanks Guy
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Yes, a vortex is the last thing you want in an inlet port, I spend most of my time trying to get rid of them. Vortex = turbulence = flow loss.

'Swirl ports' by the way, in case you don't know (some might not anyhow) have nothing to do with flow efficiency, they are designed to promote fast burn.

GC
Piero

Post by Piero »

So what would you say is the best way to get the gases moving faster in and around the inlet vavle, along the shortest line of the inlet track.