2 liters Argenta Engine in 124 sc from 73

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
stooges

2 liters Argenta Engine in 124 sc from 73

Post by stooges »

Hi!
I got an Argenta 2.0 engine that I will try to put in my Fiat 124 sc cc from 1973, I‚´m from Sweden so it‚´s left steerwheel. Now it is a Regatta engine in the car but I guess the gearbox is the original from 73. I have taken the injection away and have 40 idf that I‚´ll use instead. Otherwise I‚´ll keep it as it is, exept a Red dot and a Filterking that i bought. I‚´ll never worked with cars before so I need some good tips how i should do. What stuff do I need to change and how should I do it? Some stuff that I wonder is for example:

1. Can I use my original gearbox without any modification?

2. I guess i need to change the oilsump on the Argenta engine to the Regatta oilsump, and if I have to do that, do I need to use the Regatta oilpump or can I keep the oilpump from the Argenta engine?

3. I guess I need some kind of an expander to put on the outlet manifold because of that the Argenta engine is a little bit higher compared to the Regatta engine is that right?

4. How should I take out the Regatta engine, with or without the gearbox mounted and how should i put the new argenta engine back with or without the gearbox?
Sincerly yours
Ulf Thunberg
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Can any member other than me advise please?

I had a bad cold last week and am rushing to catch up on flowtest work.

Thanks

GC
TR-Spider

Post by TR-Spider »

Hi Ulf

I have only experience from 2l 124 Spider, but there I once run an Argenta block, so

1. 124 std gearbox fits to Argenta engine

2. Regatta was a front wheel drive, so most likely your engine uses the std oilpan. What size is the Regatta engine? If its below 2l, then the oilpan will not fit. Then you have 2 options:
-use Argenta: lots of work required to make it fit and work
(search the forum for the description of modifications)
- get a 2l Spider one incl. pump (at least the pump "snorcel"): easy exchange, but ground clearance will suffer...

3...dont know really

4. I think both is possible, but I only did it without gearbox

Thomas
Christopher_205Rallye

Post by Christopher_205Rallye »

Hi Ulf,

Not sure how much I can help. However I will tell you what I know.

I have a Fiat 124 spider from 1978 CS2 that came originally with a 2.0L engine from california.

We transplanted a 2.0 litre engine from a Fiat Agenta into this car. We removed the whole engine and gearbox together and then fitted the agenta engine to the standard gearbox without problems. We tried to use the flat sump from the agenta but it had clearance issues with the crossmember. Hence we took the easy route and swopped the oil pump and sump from the original engine. This worked just fine.

1. Can I use my original gearbox without any modification?

We used the standard gearbox without problems

2. I guess i need to change the oilsump on the Argenta engine to the Regatta oilsump, and if I have to do that, do I need to use the Regatta oilpump or can I keep the oilpump from the Argenta engine?

The pickup of the agenta oil pump is shorter then the standard 1.8/2.0 one. We swopped the original 2.0l sump and pump onto the agenta engine

3. I guess I need some kind of an expander to put on the outlet manifold because of that the Argenta engine is a little bit higher compared to the Regatta engine is that right?

Mine was a 2.0 already so I didn't have issues here.

4. How should I take out the Regatta engine, with or without the gearbox mounted and how should i put the new argenta engine back with or without the gearbox?

We took the gearbox and engine out together and then back in as a single unit. This was the easiest for us
stooges

Post by stooges »

Thanks a lot for your answers, it will help me a lot and save me a lot of time, perfect!
Ulf