Swap from block mounted to head mounted distributor - best option

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Lee67

Swap from block mounted to head mounted distributor - best option

Post by Lee67 »

Hi all

Currently gathering parts needed to swap from block mounted distributor on my 1592 TC to cam driven distributor. Will be using a Magneti Marelli SM801AX distributor.

My question is - what's the best electronic ignition option? Should I go for a Digiplex set up or an aftermarket unit such as the ones available from the likes of an internet auction site. My car currently has a block mounted distributor with points ignition so I have no electronic ignition components on the car.

I already have the distributor with part numbers SM801AX 802R2 802P2 00. My reason for the swap is a change to Weber 40IDFs with waffle manifold. My aim is to swap distributors/cam/cam box and then once the car is running ok with this new setup I will swap to the new carbs.

Any advice greatly welcomed guys.

Thanks
Lee
GC_106
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Swap from block mounted to head mounted distributor - best option

Post by Guy Croft »

Protocols:

10. Mention of auction and other self/commercial marketing sites, Myspace etc etc is completely prohibited.

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Hi Lee,

123 Ignition works for me; it's got a couple of standard Fiat curves to be selected by switch. There's also a advance curve programmable version I found out later which would have my been my preferred choice if I had known.

Charles
Attachments
123-003 Distributor.jpg
123-003 Distributor.jpg (365.1 KiB) Viewed 24353 times
GC_26
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Charles,

please could you share your exp of 123 with Csaba Vandor at

www.autoricambi.us

He is also a member here. That company is my sole US agent and they are keen to hear about this unit as am I. Does it come with the gear or do you have to swap an old one? My client Marek in Poland (member here) has one fitted to his GC engine but he has not started the engine yet. There were some questions that 123 seemed unable to answer cohesively - which rather shocked me.

Do you have to use the vacuum pipe? I understand from Troy at Northampton Motorsport in the UK (my preferred rolling-road) that it is NOT required. 123 said the exact opposite. Not good.

Which curve did you use?

This is important and I thank you for sharing what you know. I really think that firms offering products for Fiat/Lancia engines should know PRECISELY what they are selling and HOW it works and be able to answer simple technical questions immediately.

Unfortunately these days there are more and more firms from all over Europe claiming to be expert and to have this-or-that magic solution for this-or-that missing Fiat part. In the case of 123 I hope their product a) works b) is reliable c) for 10 years or more. Otherwise - in my book - it is worthless and I will not recommend it.

Many thanks,

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Hi Guy,

PM send to Csaba with cc to you.

* To install you need to transfer the gear from the original one.
* I'm using the first curve (0) which is the 1608 one to replace Marelli S134B. This gives 36 degrees of advance at 3.500 RPM and I presume this is including 10 degrees of static timing. See attached photo which shows the switch.
* I've timed the engine static at 10 degrees BTDC and retarding / advancing introduced no effect or even power loss at the dyno so this seems to be optimum.
* I do use the vacuum tube.
* Reliability has to be proven and is important to me.

Sincerely,
Charles
Attachments
Curve switch
Curve switch
123-002 Distributor.jpg (377.46 KiB) Viewed 24347 times
GC_26
Lee67

Post by Lee67 »

Hi all

Thanks for the info and advice on this however I have avoided the "problem" of swapping to an alternative ignition set up, I was lucky enough to stumble across an aftermarket manifold that allows fitment of the IDFs whilst keeping the original block mounted distributor. So for now its on with the carbs without the need to touch the ignition side of things.
GC_106