Lancia Beta Engine Number

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
arguti

Lancia Beta Engine Number

Post by arguti »

I am currently in the process of trying to import my late Father's Lancia Beta 1600 Coupe (approx 1984 so late model) from South Africa and we have hit a bit of a snag in that at the South African police clearance check they cannot find the engine number at all.

I posted a photograph taken this morning which show the area where I understand the engine number should be but it is as per the photo, completely blank.

To me there are a few possibilities - it is somewhere else on the engine or it was never there, or replacement engine was installed - there does not appear to be any evidence of the number having been removed and the car last went through a roadworthy check in 2007 when the car was purchased and my Father never had any substantial work done on the car since then. - cars in south Africa only undergo a roadworthy (MOT equivalent) when ownership changes

if it is indeed blank, under what circumstances could that have arisen and what to do?

This car is proving to be quite a challenge, thinking that I would save a lot of money by having most of the mechanical work sorted in Cape Town prior to export, I asked the (reputable) mechanics there to do a full service, cambelts, etc and anything else that might "go" on a car that has been in dry storage for the best part of 5 years at least. They duly did quite bit of work then only a day or two later the last of the gearstick bushes went leaving it stuck in gear and being towed back to the garage.

We are also trying to establish whether the car was made in South Africa or Italy.

thoughts on a postcard!
thanks
Stephen

GC_48
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Lancia Beta Engine Number

Post by Guy Croft »

With a bit of luck you might just be looking in the wrong place.

See attached,

G
Attachments
Beta engine number location.JPG
Beta engine number location.JPG (57.62 KiB) Viewed 8423 times
Guy Croft, owner
arguti

Re: Lancia Beta Engine Number

Post by arguti »

thank you Guy!

I have for warded your helpful photo to the export people and will feedback whether there is indeed an engine number as expected. Alfa/Fiat UK have confired from the chassis number that the car was indeed manufactured in
Italy so that helps insofar as avoiding import duties etc
Stephen
GC_48