Radiator Size

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Will01

Radiator Size

Post by Will01 »

Just wondering if anyone knows of a general rule of thumb or calculation for getting the correct size of Radiator to suit a given engine.
The Capri i am working on at the moment i plan on upgrading the cooling system to use a more modern radiator from another vehicle e.g. Sierra. Maybe use an aluminimum item with twin fans.
I will be using a Pinto engine to start with and i am still dithering over using a 4.0 AJV8 engine out of my Jaguar which i am breaking.
Because the front of the shell will need to be cut i would like to modify before i start painting the car.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Will
GC_21
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Radiator Size

Post by Guy Croft »

Next car I am involved with I am either going to use Concept Racing or Serck Motorsport (both easily found via google).

I suggest you do the same.

Things easy to get wrong:

1. Rad too low and does not fill (header tank and bleed point needed..)
2. Pressure cap too short for filler neck and does not seal!

If you have a pressurised header tank you do not need a filler cap on the rad.

Fans are for traffic and very low speed only. After that the rad should do the job. IF the hot air can escape! IF!

I was discussing this with John Brown Restorations in Sussex recently, there is a lot more to effectiveness of any radiator than mere size. JB explored this very intensively for single-seat race cars in which field he is a world-authority. He has two GC engined project X19s in his shop at present and shortly will be doing a 124 Rally as well.

I said to him - next time I need a rad I will ring him!

G
Guy Croft, owner
Will01

Re: Radiator Size

Post by Will01 »

Thanks Guy for your input
I will have a look see. The main thing i suppose is actually getting the air to go through the rad. I have seen alot of designs where although large rads have been used the cars overheat because the radiator acts like an air dam and doesn't direct air through it. Also if it is not designed correctly ie correct areas of low and high pressure the cooling air is not able to be used.
It is important to direct air into the radiator, i suppose with the Capri i not overly worried as i plan on making provisions to get air through the engine bay. Every little bit i can find out the easier it will be.
I have done a fair amount of reading of setting up cooling systems but never put any theory into practice.
Thanks again. Will
GC_21