What is the difference between these two engines

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Håvard

What is the difference between these two engines

Post by Håvard »

Hi

I have purchased two Fiat twin cam 2.0 engines. One of them is in working order, and the other one is for parts etc. The plan is to mount one in a 1984 Lada 2102. But i have a question about these two engines they have different labeling on the engineblocks, one of them is marked Fiat-Lancia GT, while the other is marked 132 AC. 40/9 Fiat. what is the main difference between the two engines, and how much horsepower does these engines have?

I have pictures of both the engines.

Regards Håvard
Attachments
the working Fiat engine picture 1
the working Fiat engine picture 1
fiat tc 1.jpg (53.34 KiB) Viewed 14967 times
the working Fiat engine picture 2
the working Fiat engine picture 2
fiat tc 2.jpg (57.8 KiB) Viewed 14967 times
picture of the block on the working engine
picture of the block on the working engine
gt blokk 1.jpg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 14967 times
the spare engine
the spare engine
fiat tc 3.jpg (52.31 KiB) Viewed 14967 times
picture of the block on the spare engine
picture of the block on the spare engine
delemotor 1.jpg (92.55 KiB) Viewed 14967 times
Last edited by Håvard on September 30th, 2013, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobby

Re: What is the difference between these two engines

Post by Nobby »

Unless I am mistaken it will be hard to identify the engine spec by just the block - i.e. Fiat used blocks which look very similar on the outside to for 1.6/1.8/2.0 etc.. It might be easier to identify them using the head numbers.

Chris
Chris Burgess
GC 01
Håvard

Post by Håvard »

Thanks for the reply!

I have some pictures of the heads.
Attachments
the fiat-lancia one
the fiat-lancia one
IMAG0614.jpg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 14930 times
the part engine
the part engine
IMAG0615.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 14930 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Just check the stroke with a thin rod down the plug hole at BDC and TDC.

2 liter is 90mm. I think they are both 1600 units. Certainly the 132 2 liter casting code on the block is 132 DB not AC. I think AC is 1800.

You can't definitively tell from the heads, they get swapped anyway...

G
Guy Croft, owner
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Håvard,

As far as I know the spider engines have a identification number stamped next to or above the oil filter base. I don't know if this is also the case for the other Lampredi engines but if they are there please publish them here so we can check what type of engines they are.

Regards,

Charles
GC_26
Håvard

Post by Håvard »

Thanks for the great feedback.

It seems like these engines needs further inspection, i tougth i bougth two 2.0 engines. It seems like i have been fooled,
anyways, these engine dont grow on trees in norway, so one of them is being restored.

I will check around the oilfilter base for the identification number.

Regards Håvard
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Check the stroke.

I don't need more numbers.

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

All

the first one looks like a strada 2 litre 130tc, pulleys, sump, oil cooler, distributor and carbs all off the 130tc ( i know they could be swapped over in the past).....mind you the coolant pipes in the head are not 130tc it is off a 124 / 131 or 132.... the second one i dont know

stroke measurment will certainly identify

regards

sandro
GC_33
RichardRidge

Post by RichardRidge »

The head casting 5992303 was used on the 105/130 TC. Don't know much about it as it was not exported to the U.S. The casting 4371507 was used on many TC's. Here in the U.S. the 132.C8.1AO suffix was used on RWD fuel injected 2 liter engines starting in 1980. It's advantage as a head is good breathing through unshrouded valves. That is offset by a 53-54cc camber volume that yields a compression ratio of only 8.1:1 when used with stock flat-top pistons.

If you are not budgeting for a complete teardown and rebuild, I would focus on the general condition of the two engines. If they can be spun up on a starter, you can get compression readings before taking the heads off. The condition and wear pattern on the cam lobes and the presence or absence of sludge and heavy deposits in the cam boxes and in the exhaust ports are also indicative. Once the heads are off you will have a lot more to go on.

The 2L engine has a deeper block but if the engine can be turned over, you can measure the stroke quite directly through the spark plug hole.

Richard
Håvard

Post by Håvard »

Hi

Thanks for all the good feedback guys,
I will begin to dismantle the engine possibly this weekend or over the next week, then I will know for sure how big the engine is.
Is there any big differents between the Fiat 124 Familiare and the Lada 2102 Combi, like brakes, suspension and what engine these cars were delivered with, because these car are almost the same.
Considering the approval from the highway agency for a engine swap in my lada.

Thanks again for your reply
tommilton

Post by tommilton »

Before you do all that measuring etc, just go online to find the engine numbers listed - if you Google Fiat engine numbers you will get to it very quickly - I have the link but understand we are not supposed to provide links in this blog. (HAPPY TO DO SO WITH PERMISSION - how do I obtain that?) The casting numbers themselves don't mean much - the engine number will be stamped on the block near the engine mount on the oil filter side of the engine. Match it up against the list and you will know the engine type and market and possibly close estimate of the year of the engine too. You can tell the 2 litre engines by the sump as well - larger than for the earlier engines. From your photo, yours looks like a 2 litre to me from the ancillary equipment. Measuring is good too of course as a confirmation but it's nice to know what you are starting with in my view. I bought a couple of 2 litre engines recently and brought my list with me to make sure I did not end up with stuff I did not want. I have a photo to show the location of the engine number but don't know yet how to post the photo - (I'm a newbie to this blogging thing - help please with permissions and photo uploading!)
Håvard

Post by Håvard »

tommilton wrote:Before you do all that measuring etc, just go online to find the engine numbers listed - if you Google Fiat engine numbers you will get to it very quickly - I have the link but understand we are not supposed to provide links in this blog. (HAPPY TO DO SO WITH PERMISSION - how do I obtain that?) The casting numbers themselves don't mean much - the engine number will be stamped on the block near the engine mount on the oil filter side of the engine. Match it up against the list and you will know the engine type and market and possibly close estimate of the year of the engine too. You can tell the 2 litre engines by the sump as well - larger than for the earlier engines. From your photo, yours looks like a 2 litre to me from the ancillary equipment. Measuring is good too of course as a confirmation but it's nice to know what you are starting with in my view. I bought a couple of 2 litre engines recently and brought my list with me to make sure I did not end up with stuff I did not want. I have a photo to show the location of the engine number but don't know yet how to post the photo - (I'm a newbie to this blogging thing - help please with permissions and photo uploading!)
Could you send me a PM with the URL/Link?
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

tommilton wrote:B. (HAPPY TO DO SO WITH PERMISSION - how do I obtain that?)
Just eMail Guy.
GC_06
tommilton

Post by tommilton »

Fiat engine number location on 2L engines:
jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
engine number location - Fiat 2 L
engine number location - Fiat 2 L
Fiat engine number location on 2L engines.jpg (94.47 KiB) Viewed 14498 times
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi Håvard!

Why don't You just take the heads off?
Then You will very quickly find everything You look for. Valve size, pistons/compression, and can check the cc easily. At the same time You can get a quick overview of the condition of the engines. Its a Question of 10 headbolts - 10 min max.....
;-)

Mvh - best regards

Remi(92622577)
GC_45