Oil cooler pipes length for mid-engined Alfa

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
FERRARIST

Oil cooler pipes length for mid-engined Alfa

Post by FERRARIST »

Have mid-engined RWD Alfa 156 2.5V6, and i have problems with oil cooler location and effectiveness.
Below is basic pictures of initial location with 19row mocal cooler, and now bigger cooler - unfortunately it can not fit on same location and i moved it just behind the engine(transversely mounted) - oil temps still too high.
Recently observed Lotus elise oil cooler location and my question is:
Is there any danger of oil pressure drop if i move the cooler just behind the front bumper - that's 2 meter pipes each direction???? I guess i must use same ID size as cooler's and sandwich plate.
Any tips on this.
Thanks.
Attachments
DSCF4188.jpg
DSCF4188.jpg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
IMG_20130620_134205.jpg
IMG_20130620_134205.jpg (73.44 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
fingers99

Re: Oil cooler pipes length for mid-engined Alfa

Post by fingers99 »

There probably is some danger. Assessing how much would require someone far more gifted than I.

You could always look at a water/oil heat exchanger. These have the advantages of not needing an oil thermostat, warming up the oil sooner, and can be placed just about anywhere that you can get water to -- hence you can run very short oil lines. They're also much more robust than air/oil heat exchangers.

The only real downside is that your (water) cooling system will be a little more stressed.

Laminova is a trade name for one type.
GC_06
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Laminova - I agree.

Air-oil coolers of the type you have shown will only work (at all!) if they have a good airstream in and thru and out! You are not going to achieve this here. I have known people to use bigger and bigger ones and find even the largest they can buy will not work - a sure sign of a head-dispersant problem caused by inadequate airflow.

Call my pref supplier Think Automotive about the size of the Laminova and appropriate hose fittings tel: 020 8568 1172

The device is best placed on the return coolant line from the bottom of the radiator back to the engine to give maximum cooling effect to the oil. A thermostat is not needed.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Have you done any experimenting with ducting and/or fans?
Chris Burgess
GC 01
FERRARIST

Post by FERRARIST »

Nobby wrote:Have you done any experimenting with ducting and/or fans?
No fans yet, when i used the smaller cooler, it was mounted where pictured air-scoop is, fed directly from outside air. Bigger cooler is hard to fit in same place(but not impossible)........
Attachments
DSCF4684.jpg
DSCF4684.jpg (204.07 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

please re-read what I wrote - getting the hot air away from the cooler is the problem, not getting it in!!!

Your whole engine bay is going to be at engine temperature!

G
Guy Croft, owner
FERRARIST

Post by FERRARIST »

Guy Croft wrote:please re-read what I wrote - getting the hot air away from the cooler is the problem, not getting it in!!!

Your whole engine bay is going to be at engine temperature!

G
Yes, point already taken......few months ago my water rad was just behind the rear bumper and it did'nt work well.......
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Looks a really interesting car: I'd love to see more photos.
GC_06