Sleeving a twincam block

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
ace124

Sleeving a twincam block

Post by ace124 »

Having recently moved from Australia to Cyprus, I came across a machine shop so i decided to go in for a tour of the facilities. They had all the usual boring tools, lathe, grinding machines, a couple of mills etc. What caught my eye was a Fiat twincam block that had been resleeved. I found it interesting given in Australia we usually rebore and fit oversized pistons. The shop owner told me its common practice in Cyprus to fit sleeves and re-use pistons.
He showed me the liner they use. It was 87mm OD and 83mm ID. Obviously its then honed out to 84mm or so.
He also said a complete twin cam block can be done for less than €200, including boring & machining of the step & decking of the block followed by a chamber to aid ring insertion.
What are peoples thoughts on doing this to a competition T.C. ? Is there enough meat in the block for it not to pose any issues? Sounds like a good option if you want to save a set of expensive forged piston when the block wears.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Sleeving a twincam block

Post by Guy Croft »

Nothing wrong with sleeving!

I have a very good friend in Limassol - Mike Charalambous - owner of JMC Power Automotive. An expert motor engineer & some.

Well known for - among other things - his expertise with very high powered turbocharger installations. You could look him up.

G
Guy Croft, owner
nabihelosta

Post by nabihelosta »

I have two re-sleeved blocks of BMW M3 3.0L, which I use regularly on hill climb competitions here in Lebanon. (12.5:1 CR, 403bhp@9700rpm)
I use forged HC pistons, but I must stick to the OE bore diameter, as the car must stay under 3000c.c. by FIA regulations (Group S-M4).
I have never had any problem with sleeves done by a neat and tidy mechanic. And yes, TC blocks do have "meat" for sleeving.
Guy may have another opinion?

N
HORSEPOWERunlimited
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

no, it's an op I often have done.

It is worth mentioning that if you're not sleeving all 4 cylinders, it is important to do the sleeved cylinders first and leave the reboring of the others till last because the sleeving op causes swelling of adjacent bores.

For this same reason - all sleeves should be fitted before any is rebored & honed to finished size.

G
Guy Croft, owner
ace124

Post by ace124 »

Yes, Im aware of the JMC Lancia. Haven't met Mike but know of him. Funny enough the machine shop was in Limasol.
So if Im reading this right, there is enough meat in an 1800 block to accept 4 new liners and not have any issues if used in a high performance application.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

yup

G
Guy Croft, owner