First Step - Advice on car selection

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
GTAm

Re: First Step - Advice on car selection

Post by GTAm »

Hello. Thanks Guy. I have been away too...holidays and all. Here is the link.

http://www.slas.lk/downloads/APPENDIX%2 ... 202012.pdf
GTAm

Post by GTAm »

Hello Guy and everyone else,

Can the Uno 1301cc OHC (I believe this is the recommended engine?) be enlarged to just under 1500cc? What kind of power output can we expect?

I had a discussion with the person who will prepare my car. He suggests going for the SL-S Class. Modified specials which is the class most people are getting interested in. I'm not sure I should go for such a high class, but he is a local racing expert who is also a excellent and successful driver.

Here are the regulations to make things easy. Even engine transplants are allowed, which means for example a 1500cc Fiat twin cam can be put into an Uno body or a Fiat with another makers engine etc. Competition is likely to be fierce since the scope is wide.

REGULATIONS FOR GROUP SL –S – 1500cc
1. Homologation – Any Body shell/Chassis
2. Change/Modification of Engine, Gearbox, Suspension and
Braking System is permitted, provided the engine is originally
designed for/ or derived from any automobile of any make or
model. Motor cycle/boat/aircraft engines not allowed.
3. Turbo, Rotary and super charged engines, are allowed,
provided that it does not exceed the class limit.(please refer to
Clause above
4. Number of Seats – Minimum 02 front mounted seats
5. Maximum Cubic Capacity:1500 cc
6. Minimum weight to be 650Kgs.
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

1301ccm SOHC engine can be stroked to 1498ccm using a crankshaft from a 1.5 uno/x1/9 with 63.9mm stroke. You will need to use custom pistons/rods.
Are you limited in number of valves per cylinder? My idea is to use a bravo/brava/marea 1.6 16v engine. That engine can be stroked down to 1498ccm using the same crankshaft. I have never worked with that head so it would be nice to hear from someone what it is capable of, but being 16v I think it should outperform the old SOHC.

Since the group is pretty free I think you will not be competitive with a 8 valve SOHC engine.

Uros
GTAm

Post by GTAm »

Thanks Uros.
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

I forgot to mention one thing that might be important. The 1.6 16v engine block has the same bolt pattern for mounting the gearbox and engine mount so it would be very easy to fit it into a car with the sohc engine originally.
GTAm

Post by GTAm »

Uros Piperski wrote:I forgot to mention one thing that might be important. The 1.6 16v engine block has the same bolt pattern for mounting the gearbox and engine mount so it would be very easy to fit it into a car with the sohc engine originally.

I doubt I can find a 1.6 SOHC engine over here all the petrol Brava's came with the 1.4 engine. What about a 1.6 8v Twin Cam. Just found a derelict Regata 100S.
nabihelosta

Post by nabihelosta »

Well I must say a 1.6 8V twin cam is an interesting choice.
Just noticed that on the Regata 100S it came with 100hp. After 10 years, a 16V head, modern injection and many other mods, could not bump it up but by 3hp! The Bravo/a engine is only 103hp! And having a Brava 1.6 16V myself, I can assume by driving it that the old 8V is way more torquier. NOTHING can be as low torque as a Brava! 2K, nothing. 3K, nothing. 4K, still nothing. Just kicks in at 5K rpm, and ends the kick at 6K. I have never driven a narrower powerband! IT SUCKS.

N
HORSEPOWERunlimited
Uros Piperski

Post by Uros Piperski »

Of course, 1.6 TC is a much stronger unit, but it is over 1500ccm limit. I don't if the displacement can be easily reduced to 1500ccm.
On the other hand, the larger bore and shorter stroke of the bravo/brava engine promises solid racing capabilities if the head can flow decent cfm.

But if the choice of the engine manufacturer is free I bet there is much more potent engine out there.