Budget high torque starter motor upgrade for 8v RWD

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
alan131

Budget high torque starter motor upgrade for 8v RWD

Post by alan131 »

Hi Guy, I noticed there was an article the other week on high torque starter motors. I was at the time converting a tipo 16v abarth starter to fit the 131 bellhousing. I have completed the conversion and it turns over a rally spec 8v block 16v head 2ltr with hc pistons much faster than the standard starter, and that is with the battery in the boot. This is probably a 'budget way' of upgrading starters on a hc 8v block. I believe the starter will be the same as on the other transverse 2ltr 16v engines. we measured the locating diameter of the original starter and then made a suitable aluminiun ring the same outer diameter, and a slightly undersize inner diameter to fit the later motor and shrunk it onto the later motor. The top mounting hole lines up ok but the side and lower one has to be slightly slotted. Do not make the ring to deep as it will foul on the lip inside the bellhousing. A bellhousing cover plate can be used to get a rough idea of the bolt positions if placed on the motor after the ring is fitted. Ensure the motor correctly locates outwards in the bellhousing so that the pinion and flywheel ring engage correctly.
The later motor numbers were Magnetti marelli E70R14/12 and 63223432
The ring in the photo had to be modified as it was to deep and fouled on the lip inside the bellhousing,
8v starter & 16v starter with alloy location ring
8v starter & 16v starter with alloy location ring
Starter motors low res.jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 7138 times
Engine on dyno low res.jpg
Engine on dyno low res.jpg (134.91 KiB) Viewed 7138 times
This may help someone with a hc engine on cold mornings !!!!
Last edited by alan131 on December 2nd, 2012, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miro-1980

Re: Budget high torque starter motor upgrade for 8v RWD

Post by miro-1980 »

Please reduce the picture size , they are displayed only partially when uploaded too big.

Typically 800 x 600 are just enough

Miro
www.Fiat-abarth-rally.com
GC_93
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I have pm'd the member about photo size, there is info about this in 'Readers' Cars' at top level.

The best starter I have EVER seen FWIW is the reduction gear one by Autoricambi. Very small and very powerful. I recently fitted one to the Fiat MkI Cortina for Cyril Mcmullen. Combination of power drop with battery way away in the boot and tired old OE starter, just would not swing over when engine hot (compressions are higher).

G
Attachments
Autoricambi high-tork starter (1).JPG
Autoricambi high-tork starter (1).JPG (127.05 KiB) Viewed 7291 times
Guy Croft, owner
chasnic

Post by chasnic »

Are these compatible with the Helix flywheel? Any reports of difficulty?
GC_16
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Ran into a problem a few days ago with the old style 124 5spd gearbox with the Helix FW and high-torque starter.. Not quite sure of the cause, wondering if the starter is closer to the FW on that bellhousing.

But with 131 5spd never a problem.

G
Guy Croft, owner