Fiat 131 TC 2 liter high torque starter

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Fiat 131 TC 2 liter high torque starter

Post by Guy Croft »

I need a high-torque starter for a 2 liter 131 TC Fiat with 131 5 spd gearbox. The cranking compression hot on the TC Cortina is just too much for the standard one.

Can anyone advise what to buy and where please? Preferably someone who has bought one and used it.

Thanks

G
Guy Croft, owner
MattD

Re: URGENT! Fiat 131 TC 2 liter high torque starter

Post by MattD »

Guy

Can recommend Luke Wos at Luke Motorsport (aka WOSP), in Aylesbury.
Very useful & professional motorsport oriented person. Trade only for direct contact.

T:- 01296 415 044 / luke@lukemotorsport.co.uk
www.lukemotorsport.com / www.wosperformance.co.uk/

No direct experience from me on Fiat fitment, but the WOSP system is modular and they can accommodate most configurations (or will make it).
Just a happy past customer on my part, no connection.

Rgds
Matt
GC_19
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Thanks Matt

I will explore that later in the meantime I have asked Csaba at Autoricambi in USA

G
Guy Croft, owner
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Hello Guy ,
I still have the one I ordered sitting here if it is any good to you until another turns up from Csaba .
Matt .
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Matt

I should like to have it please, thanks. I will earmark mine 4U

The USPS express service from USA is quick but once the thing arrives at Prison Island ParcelForce take totally ages to process it.

thanks tons,

G
Guy Croft, owner
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

just give me a call Guy . M .
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

07733137231 .
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Should be with you by lunch time tomorow .
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

She arrived at 11am, thanks very much indeed Matt

G
Guy Croft, owner
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

This is the high-torque starter by my good friends Csaba and Ramzi at Autoricambi in Texas USA and very nice it is indeed. This is the one Matt kindly shipped me as mine is in transit. Here just checking before fitting to Cyril's MkI Cortina.

Spins the engine faster because it has a reduction gearbox - giving higher cranking torque than a direct drive one. I understand that Csaba was behind the particular mount and gear design for the 124/131 engines and he has done a great job. It is super-light and very compact and definitely not made in Chiner....

The only OEM spec replacement starter I could get for the car was useless, a real 'Friday' job - could hardly turn the engine at all and squealed and the bush for the nose gear fell out. Must have been made in the 'heyday' of British manufacturing.....

Shipping to UK via Express US airmail is about $80. That is about as inexpensive as you will get. This takes about a week/10 days and you will pay + 20% vat and about 7% import duty plus Parcelforce handling fee about £20.

Unit price I am not publishing here you can get from AR direct:

info@autoricambi.us

GC
Attachments
Autoricambi high-tork starter (1).JPG
Autoricambi high-tork starter (1).JPG (127.05 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
Guy Croft, owner
TomLouwrier

Re: Fiat 131 TC 2 liter high torque starter

Post by TomLouwrier »

The only OEM spec replacement starter I could get for the car was useless, a real 'Friday' job - could hardly turn the engine at all and squealed and the bush for the nose gear fell out. Must have been made in the 'heyday' of British manufacturing.....
Don't tell us you've actually bought something (re)manufactured by Lucas, Prince of Darkness?
[warning: about to go both off-topic and political here]
Oh those wonderful and exciting 60's and 70's
- when politicians thought they would fix the holes in their hands by taxing both car producer and consumer on whatever grounds, by whatever amount
- when civil servants thought they would run a car industry (error 1) by merging all companies into one large national body (error 2) losing all sense of brand identity, pride and competition
- when labour unions thought they would prepare the workers for revolution by willingly provoking strike upon strike over disputes they very well knew they would not win
- when workers thought they would improve their lot by hating their job, their company and their employers

So looking back, what has become of the once world class British car industry? Sure, most if not all F1 teams are based in the Midlands because the knowledge still survives, but as for brands, factories, jobs, income, professional pride...
Rover, Austin, Triumph, MG, Morris, Wolsely, Hillman, Riley, and yes, I include Rolls, Bentley, Jaguar, Landrover in this list. What became of them?
A lot of good has it brought you, all this outside meddling in an entire industry.

Somebody once gave me a book because 'it is about cars': The Motor Makers written by Martin Adeney, back then an industry correspondent for national news papers. I thought it was about who built the best engine and gearbox. It was not. It was about who built the enterprises and factories that produced them, and who tore them down again. Essential reading for anyone who wonders what happened to the UK car industry.

regards
Tom

(on a lighter note: Q: why do the English have luke-warm beer? A: they would love to have it chilled, but their fridges were wired by Lucas too) ;-)
GC_29
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

that elegant post by Tom was approved by me BTW!!!

Just for a bit of occasional sport!

G
Guy Croft, owner
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I give this Autoricambi starter

5 star

triple A rating

spins GC 2 liter 8V race engine over with 16 bar hot compression like nothing I have ever seen

In future I shall use nothing else.

GC
Guy Croft, owner
badlyworntoy

Post by badlyworntoy »

I'll second that, Very impressive little unit.

I'll never use anything else either!!
Attachments
408494_586795884668273_943559118_n.jpg
408494_586795884668273_943559118_n.jpg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 9608 times
Graham Stewart

Post by Graham Stewart »

I have to say I'm very interested in one of these for my Beta Spider; if Guy gives something 5 stars and a triple-A rating it must be sensational...! The big question for me is - will it fit a standard Beta 2 litre? What does the Team think?