Spider 2000 auto running rough

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Dean Ryan

Spider 2000 auto running rough

Post by Dean Ryan »

Hi just purchased an Injected Spider 2000 Auto for the wife. I'm not a twin cam expert so appreciate suggestions from the forum. The engine is stock apart from extractors four into one & the catalytic converter removed. The engine milage is not known could have been round the clock once or two times. The engine does have a burnt exhaust valve hence my posting.

A club member has offered to supply an 1800cc head with cams. I will do a recondition on that head & then do a swap along with a new set of rings. I don't need a rocket ship engine just a nice reliable unit. If possible & without spending a fortune few more HP/torque numbers would be nice over the quoted 84hp. I intend to keep the injection system & would appreciate a few general tips/ideas to achieve a tad more go.

Regards

Dean
WhizzMan

Re: Spider 2000 auto running rough

Post by WhizzMan »

You'll want to take the engine out, make sure that the cylinders are honed properly for the rings to bed in and put new bearings and oil seals in as a bare minimum, in my opinion. Without knowing the state of the cylinder bores, it's hard to tell if you can get away with just new rings, or maybe you will need oversized pistons and a re-bore. I advice you to adjust your budget to allow for things like this, to prevent surprises and disillusion later on. There's no use in doing half a job if you plan on putting new rings in and refurbishing the head. You can always re-adjust after taking the engine apart if the bores and pistons are good.

For extra horsepower, you could get the head ported slightly and the valves set properly to Guy's directions for stock cams, get the inlet manifold matched to the engine and maybe upgrade your ignition system. That won't change the characteristics of the engine, but probably get you some more power than stock. I think that the 2L cams will probably be better for power, if they differ from the 1800 at all (?)
Book #348
Dean Ryan

Post by Dean Ryan »

Hi Wizzman thank you for wisdom on the engine. I agree better to do a complete job accurately & have a sweet reliable engine. Thank you for responding.

Regards

Dean
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

You may not have to do a "complete job", but you won't know until you've assessed the current condition of the engine. With a some luck, you could even be looking at just a single new valve, some new seals and getting the valve seats cleaned up a bit.

Anyone else has some good advice on what "simple" improvements can be done on this engine while it's being taken out/apart for a valve replacement and general inspection/overhaul?
Book #348
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Dean - a trade

you post some pictures to get my interest and I will offer some advice that will interest you.

Deal?

G
Dean Ryan

Post by Dean Ryan »

Hi Guy thanks for the reply. I will post some happy snaps of the car & the Head when I dismantle it. The club member who offered the 1800 head has also offered a Lancia 2 litre head. Again I'm no Fiat twin cam expert ( Iv'e been playing with 69 Fiat 500's for the last 30+ years) but is the Lancia 2-litre head a Fiat head by another name. The club member said I can have my choice. In the absence of photo's which would you pick.

Appreciate a complete rebuild may not be necessary. Fingers crossed. Lastly really enjoyed reading you articles. Pity you haven't devoted your time to the Air-cooled twins.

Regards

Dean
Dean Ryan

Post by Dean Ryan »

Have just sourced a second hand 2 litre head with three bent valves. I intend to refurbish this head ( I could not get a good 1800 head) ready to do a swap with my engine which I suspect has a burnt valve. My question is A) how much can the 2 litre head be machined to with safety to raise the compression. or B) Is it better to purchase a set of high compression pistons.

Thanks in advance.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Never do (A)
(B) is the right way

GC
Dean Ryan

Post by Dean Ryan »

Thanks to you again. B wins!
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Please re-size ...!

GC
Dean Ryan

Post by Dean Ryan »

Happy to Guy but not being a computer wiz I don't know how too! Please advise.

Regards
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Dean, very easy.

Open the photo in Paint. Got to the top tab 'Image' and select 'stretch/skew'.
Adjust the pic size using the % stretch field (horizontal and vertical). A full 10/12 megapizel photo for example I reduce to 20% and it generally comes out the right size for the forums.
Use the preview button to test before submitting. Re-adjust if needed.

Chris
Dean Ryan

Post by Dean Ryan »

attachment deleted please see below. Great little car - hope we see it back.

G
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

That is not the best way to resize, please go to the link in my post here and use PIXresizer.

You have to experiment with size, I suggest you take the original and go for 50% reduction and have a look at it before uploading,

G
Dean Ryan

Post by Dean Ryan »

please go to the link in my post here and use PIXresizer.

Happy to but just where is the link you describe/situated. I scrolled the post/site & I'm lost. Where does PIXresizer live. Sorry mate computers not my thing!