Piston and compression question

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Fiat CC

Piston and compression question

Post by Fiat CC »

Hi there. Just found the site... nice work.

Anyway, I want to find out a few things about an engine build I am collecting parts for. It is a brand new 2 litre block that I plan to run Regata 100s pistons and head on. My question is what compression will this give me approximately? The head is unmodified currently, and as I said the block is brand new.

I will be getting some port work done including match porting the manifold, will be running cams with 11.25mm lift and 285 degrees duration (35-70), 45DCOE's and 98RON fuel. Will this setup work well and be reliable, or will I end up with too much compression? Also, as an estimate, what sort of power will this produce, if it is well tuned?

Have I missed anything I should have mentioned?

thank you,
Reuben
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

My guess, somewhere around 11:1 and hopefully 160-170HP :D
Fiat CC

Post by Fiat CC »

A decent seat of the unacceptable increase then :D I was hoping to get to the 170hp mark, so hopefully this shuold do it.
Fiat CC

Water and oil cooling

Post by Fiat CC »

Just looking at a thread in the competition section of the forum, and it brought to my attention an issue I'd acknowledged, but never given much thought, which is cooling. Are the standard systems going to be able to keep up with this hike in power? If not, what should I be considering? Although it is primarily a road car (at this stage), I would like to be able to do club events etc, and don't want to cook a fairly expensive motor, by having unsuitable cooling. What would be suggested here? It will be going in a 124 CC, so that is the radiator I have, and no oil cooling to speak of.
Thanks,
Reuben
Fiat Racer Don

Piston and Cams & COOLING

Post by Fiat Racer Don »

I have posted some items on cooling. I run a slightly modified 1608cc - 134hp and 112 ft lbs torque in a vintage EProd 124 spider. The factory rad could not cool it. Climbed to 210 -220 deg F and oils temp bounces around 240deg F plus.

I tried a stock 1800cc rad and a smaller diameter H20 pump pulley (17% more rpms) and the car was cooler but still in the 210 range with oil the same.

I had the 1800cc rad recored with a HVT or VHT (?) copper 3 row core, more open flow and did some other things like add a pressured swirl pot for more volume, lowered the pressure from 15 lbs to 7 lbs etc. and put in a 170 degree t-stat (had been only a blanking sleeve)

Ran a cool 185-190 deg F h20 temp and 210 oil on a day when temp was 95 deg F heat index of 113 deg F and road surface was 118.5 deg F. This was for a 60 mile sprint race. I ran in the 6500-7200 range rpm all time.

My recomendation (albeit limited in experience) is to follow GC notes on temp goals, get something made after market that can handle the added heat constant higher rpms adds but don't go TOO big. Too big is not good either. Ron Davis in US has some very fine product - most of my Austin Healey race friends use that application sucessfully.

I don't know if you are familiar with the US site mirafiori.com. Many enthusiasts have used a volvo conversion for hot street models. Just do a forum search for volvo radiators.

I hope this is of help.
Don Tuscany
Fiat CC

Post by Fiat CC »

Excellent, thanks very much for the help.