engine coolant choice

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
rossocorsa

engine coolant choice

Post by rossocorsa »

After about ten years off the road I am just about getting to the stage of sorting the mechanical parts of my Beta volumex, one thing I'm pondering is if there is any advantage or disadvantage to using a modern 'OAT' type coolant? The engine will have been partially dismantled/reassembled using new parts where I can find /afford and all coolant pipes ,water pump will be renewed plus a new old stock late style radiator with aluminium core. The concern I would have is any possible reaction with old coolant but the remaining system will be flushed (essentially just the heater matrix ). OAT does seem to have advantages of improved corrosion protection so any observations appreciated

thanks

Alan
WhizzMan

Re: engine coolant choice

Post by WhizzMan »

OAT lasts longer than typical silicate based coolants, so that could be a benefit. Be careful with soldered joints, since lead and OAT don't go along very well. Some head gasket materials may not like OAT, so when in doubt about the material in your head gasket, stay clear from OAT.
Book #348
rossocorsa

Re: engine coolant choice

Post by rossocorsa »

interesting point about solder, I suppose the heater matrix may well have some present so it might be a bad idea

thanks

alan