MSD IGNITION

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Brit01

Re: MSD IGNITION now available on a 131

Post by Brit01 »

PULL OFF whatever is connected to the COIL POSITIVE and connect that to the MSD small red
PULL OFF whatever is connected to the COIL NEGATIVE and connect that to the MSD small white
Sincere apologies Perry and thanks for your time here but which wires of the coil positive and negative go to the red and white msd wires? As you see I have 2 spade connectors on each polarity. I connect both?

Regards
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

ALL wires on the coil positive
ALL wires on the coil negative

Imagine the MSD red is now your coil positive and the MSD white is now your coil negative. You MSD has now become your coil/capacitive discharge unit.

I can see why your getting a little lost Chris; standard ignition setups like Lumention and the like all become part of the setup. The MSD is actually separate and works alone.

Pull off the coil positive wires and find a nice neat way to connect to the MSD small red
Pull off the coil negative wires and find a nice neat way to connect the MSD small white

I DID SAY, IT WILL TAKE YOU LONGER TO MOUNT THE UNIT THAN IT WILL TO WIRE IT UP.

Perry
GC_86
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Great thanks.

OK so the 2 spade connectors from the coil negative will attach together and connect to the small white.
The 2 spade connectors from the coil positive will attach together and connect to the small red.

This is what I meant by loop. Sorry if I mislead you.

I can actually remove the double spade connector (leaving the original wires/connectors on them) and attach the small msd wires to the copper part in the middle with a new bolt/nut.

The MSD orange and black can be wound around the original nut and washer on the new coil.

Thanks

Chris
timinator

Post by timinator »

Better to use a ring terminal than wrapping around the stud and crushing the wires under a washer.
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

You're right Tim. I have a few of those to use in my tools box.

Thanks
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

The MSD will come with all the clips and connectors you would need.
Make sure you do it properly as the MSD will 'FRY' anything that does not have a good connection.

Perry
GC_86
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

I have recently been working with a Newtronic ignition box on a PRV engine and I can say Perry is right. It's not just MSD, but any ignition suffers from less than perfect electrical connections. For a light bulb, a few ohms and some initial contact resistance isn't much of a problem, the light will go on eventually. With ignition, it's all about how fast current can rise and how much peak current you can get out of the energy stored in the coil and/or capacitors. Then all of a sudden a few ohms matter a lot, especially if you have initial contact resistance that in effect requires a miniature arc to form before current can flow.

Make sure you use proper thickness wiring, proper connectors and use a good crimping tool to attach the connectors to the wiring. Make sure anything using bolts/threads/washers is tightened enough. Doing just this right throughout the entire circuit can make an okay running car run much better, start better and give more power throughout the entire rev range. Good crimping with the proper materials and tools gives a lower resistance than soldering, keep that in mind when doing ignition or high-current electrical work. Soldering (when done right) is more resilient to motion, so when splicing/merging cables, for instance for sensors that are usually voltage and not current dependent, that should be more suitable.

By the way, Newtronic 2-coil systems have some inherent thermal design flaws that make them fry themselves when the ignition is left on for too long without running the car/bike. Also, water resistance is less than optimal. You'd expect something designed for automotive use to be a little bit more resilient than this. If you have to work with these, be aware of these limitations. I have no experience with other Newtronic products, so it may just be the 2 coil box and the rest could be perfectly fine.
Book #348
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

Chris,

We await in anicipation for your post once you have installed your MSD. Any feedback yet please ?

Perry
GC_86
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Hi Perry,

Be patient please.

Had a couple of issues this week. Blocked carb twice and mechanical pump not priming properly, plus a lose clip on a cv boot.

Anyway changed to a Hueco electric pump last night and the change was incredible. Feels like a different car now.

Hopefully tomorrow or next week I'll get the MSD installed.

Keep watching.

Chris
nabihelosta

Post by nabihelosta »

Anyway changed to a Hueco electric pump last night and the change was incredible. Feels like a different car now.
Hello Chris

Good to hear about some improvement, but what changed specifically in the car after the fuel pump? In what terms does it feel different?

Just asking because I still have my mech pump on my Fiat (Weber IDF), and planning to go electric. Do I expect some changes in driving manners?

Thank you

Nabih.
HORSEPOWERunlimited
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

First of all it idled easier when cold. Low revs when cold so maybe the pump wasn't delivering enough.
If the carb bowls have dried out a little and piped drained somewhat this pump fills them all within seconds whereas my old mechanical pump took many turns of the engine to get anything primed. Was really frustrating.

Acceleration smooth smooth throughout every gear and no signs of hesitation whatsover. A significant increase in power also.
Felt like I had fuel injection really.

I thoroughly recommend it if you have an old mechanical pump with a possible worn shaft.

Can the mechanical pump meet 130 l/hr? That's over litres a minute but also keeping pressure under the limit as not to open the valve seats.

Mounted my MSD already. Will test it on the road later today but all ran fine while idling and revving. Crisp, clean and responsive.

2 great mods in 1 day. Happy Alfa owner. This will please my wife also as it will feel more like a modern car.
nabihelosta

Post by nabihelosta »

Chris

See my reply on the "Readers cars" section. By respect to Perry and his interesting thread here, I won't go off topic.

Thank you.

Nabih
HORSEPOWERunlimited
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

nabihelosta wrote:Chris

See my reply on the "Readers cars" section. By respect to Perry and his interesting thread here, I won't go off topic.

Thank you.

Nabih
Nabih with all due respect I was asked by Perry how the new pump works. I think it's up to him whether he wants to digress a little.
nabihelosta

Post by nabihelosta »

Yes Chris sure. Go on with your conversation with Perry.

For me, my post has to do with my car, and my experience with fuel pumps, and I wasn't asked about neither, so I prefered to post it elsewhere.

That's it buddy. No worries.
HORSEPOWERunlimited
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

nabihelosta wrote:Yes Chris sure. Go on with your conversation with Perry.

For me, my post has to do with my car, and my experience with fuel pumps, and I wasn't asked about neither, so I prefered to post it elsewhere.

That's it buddy. No worries.
No worries, just replied to your other comments on my thread about the pump. Didn't see that before.

Best regards