MSD IGNITION

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
n2oxide

Re: MSD IGNITION

Post by n2oxide »

Apart from the orange and black wires, what else is attached to the coil ?

P
GC_86
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

n2oxide wrote:Apart from the orange and black wires, what else is attached to the coil ?

P
Nothing

Chris
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

Chris,

Do you have a manual ? It tells you in there how to trigger a test spark. I've never actually had to do this, so cannot remember the procedure.
I cannot believe a unit (especially an old one !) failed. The only thing I can think of is the trigger white wire is only getting 6v or 9v from your original ignition system and this may not be enough to fire the MSD when its loaded.

This issue is addressed when some people install the MSD and find that on high RPM, their tacho starts bouncing; this is because the MSD is sucking the life out of the energy from the ignition trigger. I'm wondering if this is someway the problem.

Perry
GC_86
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

n2oxide wrote:Chris,

Do you have a manual ? It tells you in there how to trigger a test spark. I've never actually had to do this, so cannot remember the procedure.
I cannot believe a unit (especially an old one !) failed. The only thing I can think of is the trigger white wire is only getting 6v or 9v from your original ignition system and this may not be enough to fire the MSD when its loaded.

This issue is addressed when some people install the MSD and find that on high RPM, their tacho starts bouncing; this is because the MSD is sucking the life out of the energy from the ignition trigger. I'm wondering if this is someway the problem.

Perry
I tend to agree with you Perry.
The quality of the board and components is top notch.

I will attempt to test it again once I get some time.
I beginning to think the failure might have been due to the purple wire grounding itself somewhere.
I had this hooked up to a switch under the dash as an anti theft device.
This came lose. I will check that out also

Thanks

Chris
n2oxide

Post by n2oxide »

Any updates on other people fitting MSD's please ?

Perry
GC_86