F20C engine swap

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
katinc

F20C engine swap

Post by katinc »

I have a 1980 Spider. Original engine has been rebuilt twice, third time it had a new block. I would like to swap it out for a F20C ( s2000) motor. Besides the hp gains the engine is much more fuel economical. I have heard that a guy in Australia did this a few years back but can't find anything out about it. What I need to know is.. what modifications are required? and how? What is the angles of the driveshaft to differential? Etc. Anyone have any ideas??
Thank You
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: F20C engine swap

Post by Guy Croft »

What is one of these?

F20C ( s2000)

G
LanciaNut69

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Hi Guy,

I think he's talking about the Honda S2000 - a 2 seater with a 4 pot, DOHC 2 litre engine, which has the designation F20C.

Katinc,

You need to probably look at Honda sites or general custom forums to see about a completely different powerplant swap. Are you looking at just engine, engine and gearbox, diff as well? Are you intending building a new loom, trying to combine the old and the new, or just using the Honda loom? It's a big undertaking to do that kind of engine swap and will obviously change your car completely - is it something you want to do? I think a rebuild will set you back an awful lot less in time and money, but it could be that you have an S2000 sitting in your backyard with a shot body ready to be a donor.

You'll also need to look at exhaust fabrication, give consideration to cooling, engine and gearbox mounting points and brackets, the addition of a CAT, possible change to the fuel tank, as well and siting everything at the right angle and level relative to each other.

Plan each stage carefully, calculate the time and cost then double it, at least! If you go through with it, you'll have an interesting combination.

I have to ask though, and please don't think me rude - why not just get an S2000? I probably have a skewed mind (I must have to have a Montecarlo! ;o) ) and I have thought and planned various engine swaps to the Monte, but always in the same 'family' ie the Alfa V6 or Thema/Integrale engine. I did for about 30 seconds consider the Mondeo v6 simply because it was cheap, but couldn't bring myself to fit a Ford engine in a Lancia - in much the same way as I wouldn't personally put a toyota twin cam, or a Honda engine in a Monte.

thank you

Darren
Book #435
katinc

Post by katinc »

F20C is a Honda S 2000 engine. 4 cyl inline, 240 hp 6 speed transmission. From what I have learned so far it is the same size 2000cc and should fit in with minimal problems. Transmission tunnel has to be modified, front radiator mount needs to be modified and engine mounts.

Thank You
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

No comment from me till I see photos of the engine with its gearbox connected.

If you want to post a link pm me first.

GC