131 2ltr Oil Pump Strainer Discovery

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
moggyman64

131 2ltr Oil Pump Strainer Discovery

Post by moggyman64 »

Hi Guy

Further to my recent visit to you in my Morris Traveller, I stripped my engine and when I removed the oil pump I discovered lots of small wafer thin bits of aluminium caught in the strainer (photo), at least the strainer did its job.
strainer 02.jpg
strainer 02.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 8296 times
Prior to the strip the engine was running very smooth but had vibration from 2.500 upwards. With everything removed, crank, pistons, head and oil pump etc, I have inspected everything visible to me with the exception of removing the valves from the head and cannot find any signs of wear or damage. Prior to stripping, the valves and tappets were quiet.

The main and big end bearings show signs of only minor wear, the piston are in very good condition, I cannot see any damage to the oil pump. So I am puzzled as to where these bits of aluminium have come from as there are not that many parts that could let bits of aluminium get into the sump.

I bought the engine four years ago and was told that it had new main and big end bearings, valves and pistons, and looking at the condition of the engine I believe this to be true. .

My question is, have you ever come across the type of thing before and I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts.

Regards

Keith
WhizzMan

Re: 131 2ltr Oil Pump Strainer Discovery

Post by WhizzMan »

Could it be that the previous owner didn't clean out the block well enough when replacing those bearings? I've found stuff in sumps before that must have been left there by the previous person taking it off on more than one occasion.
Book #348
moggyman64

Post by moggyman64 »

Hi whizzman,

I have thought about that but I just wanted to run the query by the members before I assemble the engine and then to my detriment find that I missed something.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Whizzman is likely correct, it's not been cleaned out on the previous build.

That vibration is possibly crank FW out of balance. Probably the previous bloke who built it gave the same level of attention to detail to that as the oil pump strainer.

G
moggyman64

Post by moggyman64 »

Thanks Guy,

I think you are both correct in saying that the person who carried out the work to the engine didn't clean it properly.

I had the engine balance done and the crank, flywheel and conrods all needed work to get the balance zero'd. I bought a new clutch cover and that was quite a bit out aswell.

I had the gearbox overhauled, new bearings and seals, all forward gears were ok with just some minor chips to the reverse gears which were groung smooth.

When everything is assembled the dreaded vibration should be history.

I will keep you updated

Regards

Keith
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I did not realise it was you, Keith - who came to see me at GCRE with that beautiful Morris Minor Traveller.

We talked out-of-balance over a coffee.

Let's have a photo or two please!

G
moggyman64

Post by moggyman64 »

I will upload some photo's when I have it all put back together and I will pop back up to see you.
Thanks again for allowing me to visit your workshop and picking your brains.

Regards

Keith
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

The gears in the oil pump are all ok?

This is what happened to mine: I had new gears made here in Uruguay (no Alfa pumps available).
Attachments
pump4.JPG
pump4.JPG (13 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Hi moggyman64,

Any updates on the pump condition? All ok?

I received the new gears installed on my old boxer oil pump (will be testing it in a couple of weeks):
Attachments
new oil pump gears.JPG
new oil pump gears.JPG (264.91 KiB) Viewed 8082 times
moggyman64

Post by moggyman64 »

Hi brit01, I checked the oil pump and all appeared to be ok, put it back into the engine and has run without any problems.

So the swarf must have been left in the engine by the previous owner.

Regards

Keith