Carb differences

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Urbancamo

Re: Carb differences

Post by Urbancamo »

Brit01 wrote: After this incident I will be changing my asap.
The last cheapo filter I put on, it split at the same place where the glue is. I didn't notice any blockage and idles have been cleaned and changed since then. Guess I got lucky.
I'm on borrowed time now!

I'll look for the Bosch or Mann filter.

Thanks.

I've NEVER seen nothing like that before. It was the reason why I didn't even thought it until at the very end.

This problematic filter was manufactured in Finland. It has now been replaced with a filter which has been made by one of largest filtering companys in the world.
All problems disappeared instantly when the old filter was junked and carburettor was cleaned as best I could without removing it.

It doesn't need much stuff in the 0.55 mm idle jet to downsize it to 0.4x-region where those engines do not run properly. It will also cause instant stuttering in lower revs due over-lean mixture.
And when idle jet gets blocked completely, the REAL fun begins. In this particular carburettor, if the idle jet is blocked, it will start to draw fuel straight from main circuit all the time. It will double the MPG and it will run real bad and no idle at all.

All this mayhem caused by a manufacturer that can't obviously use a petrol-proof glue in a product which is immersed in petrol at almost all time.
GC_25
MinorTC

Post by MinorTC »

I bought a cheap in-line fuel filter from E-bay, and this happened to it, after just a week! Not only had the glue holding the two halves together dissolved, but the plastic itself was degraded, clouded and brittle.

I complained to the seller and got a refund, then bought one from Halfords, which held out OK but ultimately caused my running issues.
Maurice,
East Kent.
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

I just went to check out the 3 filters suggested here, Bosch and Mann (Fram wasn't available).

The Mann said 'Made in China'. I had no idea Mann had a factory in China!

But they were both too big to put anywhere convenient on my car unfortunately.
I found a smaller filter (still for injection models - solidly built).

Tecfil from Brazil for this model of Alfa:
Alfa ROMEO AR 145 1.8 e 2.0 16V
GIO4/7
MinorTC

Post by MinorTC »

MinorTC wrote:Today, I removed the Lucas 2CE ignition module and Lucas coil and cleaned all the contacts (which were somewhat oxidised):

There is a 2-litre Fiat twin cam for sale on an e-auction site with a similar looking ignition module to the above. I sent a message to the seller, asking what make it was and he replied it's a Motaquip module with a Magnetti Marelli ignition coil.

So, it seems there are other makes of module used other than Magnetti Marelli.
Maurice,
East Kent.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I wish to hear NO MORE about 'cheap' parts bought on 'auction sites' on this race engine website. This site is intended to be a showcase for the BEST not the junk. Filters or anything else. No-one learns anything worth hearing about junk. You get what you pay for.

If a race-grade or OEM equivalent parts fails you go back to the supplier and I don't know any UK supplier who would not honor a warranty if such a thing existed and if it did not they would still likely wish to know about it.

Protocols esp (10) and (11) relate specifically refer - please follow them in letter and spirit.

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

145 2.0 16v AR fuel filter on a 33.

Just couldn't get it to work smoothly.

Placed before the pump it wouldn't prime even after filling.
After the pump it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders!

No filter - smooth
old cheap plastic carb filter - smooth

maybe bad connections or is the filter material finer and needs a higher pressure pump (fuel injection pumps) to work properly?

Got me stumped. Maybe I'll try with it placed near the fuel tank. Maybe too much air was in the filter.