croma Turbo block in an Integrale

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
WhizzMan

Re: croma Turbo block in an Integrale

Post by WhizzMan »

Okay, in that case, I don't know if it will fit. I was assuming the croma had the 16V engine in it, just like the Coupe.
Book #348
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

The NA croma block doesn't have oil squirters for the piston underside (I'm told, never seen one myself) with the turbo version sometimes having them.

I personally prefer the balance shaft blocks, even with the shafts removed and blanked off the shaft bores remain and I look at them as big stiffeners. Handy how they positioned them IMO, not by accident I think.

I still have this on the workshop floor Andy, should I put it away?

http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/3723/bitbowl017.jpg
andy wright

Post by andy wright »

Evening Nick,
Thank you for your informed response. Please do not put it back away. Guy and I were musing on possible alternatives. By the looks of it, the Croma block is not really a goer. Do you have any thoughts on when you might be coming down to Lincoln? I ask because I may be able to get to you next week.
Andy
GC_20
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Hi Andy,

It's a fair subject to muse on, I've spent time thinking about the same. A Croma block would make sense in a full effort lightweight build where every gram counts but after that it makes for only a pretty sleak looking unit which nobody can deny, not that you'll ever see it in an integrale engine bay.
I'm always about and you are welcome anytime with a little notice. I'm a little way from visiting Lincoln, the head is started but still some way to go as it's a just when I fancy it kinda job, the work involved is many hours as its my full effort.

Nik
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I myself wondered about the stiffness aspect but more likely it was a genuine effort to reduce vibration and its influence on engine sensors (of all types).

G
samo

Post by samo »

This are the pictures of the block!

I can take any real measuremets as my block & gearbox are already bolted together. But an approximate measurement confirms that the Croma block and integrale gearbox are compatible.

Not sure about the weight but trying to move it and mine I can tell you it's a noticable difference. Should be around 10 kg in block only.

If anyone cares to make a comparison I can trace the block gearbox side to paper and send it to you.
Attachments
croma block
croma block
16042011602 (Medium).jpg (77.13 KiB) Viewed 6006 times
Limited edition #317
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi!

Just out of curiosity - did You end up using a Croma block?

Remi
GC_45
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

This thread is quite old.

Thanks for your replies. I did not change the block in AW's Integrale, I got it line bored.

The caps were wrong for the block and had to be slavishly welded-up and ground on the sides to assure tight fit for the other ops.

G
Attachments
you can see the nickel weld which added material so they could be precision ground to fit the recess in the crankcase..
you can see the nickel weld which added material so they could be precision ground to fit the recess in the crankcase..
AW_Int crank installation_post Line-bore (12).JPG (94.11 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
New LC mains..
New LC mains..
AW_Int crank installation_post Line-bore (10).JPG (106.69 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
they needed a 'nudge' to fit after the ops were complete, what one would call a 'snug' fit. Of course after fitting and checking free-rotation it all had to come apart for checking to make sure there was no stress on the bearings.
they needed a 'nudge' to fit after the ops were complete, what one would call a 'snug' fit. Of course after fitting and checking free-rotation it all had to come apart for checking to make sure there was no stress on the bearings.
AW_Int crank installation_post Line-bore (13).JPG (101.43 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
Guy Croft, owner