Fiat 131 clutch cable design

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
dp

Fiat 131 clutch cable design

Post by dp »

It think there were two types of cable for the 131 gearbox, I'm talking about the type that has an eye at the clutch pedal end.

What is used to attach the clutch end of the cable to the clutch actuating arm please? I don't have these parts so will have to make something similar or get hold of the parts from somewhere.

1) Any idea where I might source the bits - they don't come with the clutch cable?

It looks like there would have been two collets with a tube holding them around the end of the cable. My solution would be a drilled then split ball bearing (reproducing collets) with a jubilee clip or tight tube holding the halves around the cable. Or a drilled ball-bearing cut halfway through to allow the cable to fit through the cut

2) Any better suggestions or warnings on these ideas?

Thanks
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fiat 131 clutch cable design

Post by Guy Croft »

Could someone with a 131 kindly get under their car and photograph these parts for DP?

I don't have any photos or parts of and to be honest cannot remember the precise layout.

G
dp

Post by dp »

Thanks Guy. I don't want to put anyone to the trouble of crawling about under their car, particularly at this time of year. It was more a matter of if somebody already knew or said, 'you can use the link kit from a such and such' or it's Fiat part 123abc the same as current Alfa part xyz.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Yes - but I think it's a bit poor that no-one has come forward.

READERS! You are all expected to help out not just the regular few! Too many log in for 'their question' and take no part in anything else.

I am going to make this post global and see what transpires.

G
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

I use hydraulic clutch for couple of years in my 131 but i think that FSO Polonez cable will be fine(but may be a bit long which is not a problem). Of course i can only get you LHD version.
Book#378
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Thanks Tomasz,

I think DP has the cable but is trying to find out how to attach to the clutch release arm.

I think (having tried to remember) the outer end of the cable has a screw-on plastic ball that bears against a relief in the arm and then a locknut in top of that to stop it coming undone. I don't have one of those plastic balls, sorry.

I do have stock of new 131 clutch cables with, as DP suggests, the ring at the pedal end and thread at the other.

G
Jon_Logan

Post by Jon_Logan »

Sorry I had not seen this post. I have them in stock.
http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/mi ... ble/Detail
Attachments
100_4791.JPG
100_4791.JPG (47.19 KiB) Viewed 8633 times
Jon W. Logan
Midwest-124
http://www.midwest124.com
parts@midwest124.com
1979 Fiat Spider 2000, 10:1, Twin IDFs
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Thanks Jon,

but unless I'm completely misunderstanding the post which reads:

What is used to attach the clutch end of the cable to the clutch actuating arm please?

This refers to the (missing) bits at the threaded end of the cable...

G
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

It can be anything, even some M12 nut and then m8 nut to hold it. Original was some ball end nut with m8 thread. some had plastic but i have seen also steel. easy to make it on a lathe if original is not available.
Book#378
dp

Post by dp »

Guy is right, the cable isn't the problem (but thanks anyway guys) but the mechanism for attachment to the clutch actuator.

Oddly the cable I have isn't threaded at that end but is a hexagonally sectioned bit of straight bar. Walezy has given me an idea though, I'll see if it's feasible to run a die down that bar then a drilled ball-bearing and some nuts to hold in place. Thanks Walezy.