123 Distributor

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
MinorTC

123 Distributor

Post by MinorTC »

Has anyone tried a 123 Distributor on their Fiat twin cam?

They sound very promising...
Maurice,
East Kent.
MACAuto

Re: 123 Distributor

Post by MACAuto »

MinorTC,
I purchased one for my 124 Spider 1756 8V TC street car. A very nice distributor. 15 different advance curves, selectable by detent potentiometer accessible on the underside of the unit. Easy to set-up, and stable operation. For the TC with Exhaust cam drive, you will need the spiral drive gear from another Fiat distributor, but the unit comes with the shaft ready to go, complete with a roll pin for install of the donor drive gear. Made in The Netherlands, so I most likely paid too much from a USA Vendor. Very slick indeed.

MACAuto (Bill)
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Anyone got a photo or a link?

At first I thought it was a 'typo' and meant to be '124' but clearly it's not!

More info please.

G
petarn_vx

Post by petarn_vx »

Book number:43
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

wow !

someone actually making and LISTING a new distr for TCs. Thanks, I must find out more, distrs have been a 'thorn in my side' for years.

G
MACAuto

Post by MACAuto »

Guy,
I believe that the 123 in the name refers to "as easy as 1-2-3", which, in my opinion, this product clearly is. Curiously, the first Fiat application was for the 600 thru 900 variants, and has been applied for the TC only recently. An Alfa TC version is also available. There are 15 different settings for various timing curves, set by a pot in the base, as mentioned above. There are electronics located in the body of the unit where an LED lights up in a window, when base timing is set correctly, for the axial index position desired (cap leads pointing in the desired direction). Make a fine adjustment to the body with an indexing timing light for desired maximum advance, lock down, and it's finished. Comes with cap and rotor. The case appears to be machined billet, and is polished.

MACAuto (Bill)
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Thanks Bill,

I've just bought a Computronix unit from Mark at Allinsons, beautifully made but you have to alter the advance if you want to (which I need to for the TC) with weights and springs, so this looks like the next generation really.

G
MinorTC

Post by MinorTC »

The 'potentiometer' in the base of these is actually a hexadecimal switch - quote from manufacturer's instruction manual:

"You may wish to verify that the correct advance curve has been selected in your '123' : using a
5mm Allen wrench remove the hexagonal plug in the bottom face of the housing. Inside the
hole you'll find a 16 position rotary switch, marked '0' to 'F' ."

So, you are switching in a different advance curve for each of the sixteen positions.
Maurice,
East Kent.