Metal holders for spark plug wires?

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
vandor

Metal holders for spark plug wires?

Post by vandor »

I am considering using aftermarket metal holder to keep the plug wires (very long in this application) away from the engine and bodywork. I am concerned that the plug wires may short to the metal holder, even though they have rubber grommets.
Has anybody had a problem with such a setup, or is it fine? I am always leery of running the plug wires close to 'ground'.
Thanks,

Csaba
hybrid565

Re: Metal holders for spark plug wires?

Post by hybrid565 »

Hi Csaba,

I haven't had any problems whatsoever using metal spark plug cable holders/separators on my Z28 camaro as long as the holders come with rubber insulators that look like rubber grommets that wrap around each spark plug wire that's inserted in the holder/separator.

Manuel
vandor

Post by vandor »

Yes, they are like you described them.
Thanks for your reply!

Csaba
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Guys,

the metal covers will not cause any short if fitted correctly, these are used now on many OE applications Mercedes, VW etc where voltage demands on the spark plug are a lot higher than on the Fiat TC engine ( I would expect no more than 25kV depending on spark plug gap for the TC - we have measured in the region of 30kV at end of life on many applications. Some manufacturers specify up 39kV now......when we measure these it is interesting lets say if you get a shock... it certainly wakes you up... :)

They are primarily used to protect the rubber boot form hot exhausts as well as allowing ease of removal for the same. On the Fiat twin cam there is no need as the plugs are no where near the exhaust but they do look nice, so dont worry they are approved for OE use, but make sure you dont use cheap aftermarket ones.

regards

sandro