decompression plates

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
sumplug

decompression plates

Post by sumplug »

Has anyone had any experiance with them?
see the link at the bottom.
They are used quite often to good effect on turbo engines to reduce compression. Ideally, as Guy has said, engineering without the need for such a thing is really the way to do it. But i know a friend of mine had one on his Manta with a turbo conversion pumping out 210bhp.
They have been used on engines generating 250bhp per litre. so seem to be able to withstand pressures.

http://ferriday.co.uk/copper/copper.html

Andy.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

On a recent tour of the Msport facility it was interesting to note that the head gasket used on the WRC Focus was a 10mm alloy looking plate. Any gaskets i could see where metal of various types.

Nik
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

yes. I know the works cossies have been using a plate for a while. A lot of the boosted Japanese motors in USA are using them to good effect. But its not considered good practice to use them. I am wondering how they are attached to the block for sealing?

Andy.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

A pic of a Subaru WRC head i was recently looking at had a complex wire ring type groove cut into the face. Much deeper than you'd expect and very intricate. I'd imagine the same on the block face and compression plate and a clever gasket that compresses on assembly.

The machinery available to Msport was staggering, two 5 axis CNC machines running through the night unsupervised.
SteveNZ

Post by SteveNZ »

[quote="sumplug"]yes. I know the works cossies have been using a plate for a while. A lot of the boosted Japanese motors in USA are using them to good effect. But its not considered good practice to use them. I am wondering how they are attached to the block for sealing?

Andy.

2 headgaskets generally. Any style depending on application.