volumex)

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
RayO

volumex)

Post by RayO »

Refering to the latest GC book I see the standard Volumex cam timing and lift position (crank degrees) as 13/39 37/3 with full lift at 103/107.
It would appear this spec is for a mild improvement in performance over normally aspirated 2 litre and an expectation of reasonable fuel economy.
My Volumex project is moving on and I wondered what other specs might be better for my application. The car is for tarmac rally use. To give a better understanding of my hopes and expectations, the relative importance of requirements are: economy is 5 out of 10. KW is 7 out of 10. Tractable power is 9.5 out of 10. Reliability 10 of 10.

Would anybody like to let me know of their experience with alteraions to the camshaft standard spec setup for a Volumex engine. I'd appreciate anyones comment on experience with Volumex cam selection.

Thanks,

RayO
Fingers

Re: volumex)

Post by Fingers »

Hi there, I sold my VX coupe just over a year ago now as I bought an integrale. But before I did I did a bit of work to my engine, I fitted a Guy Croft IIIA inlet cam, a 45 DCOE and a supercharger pully with one less tooth to speed it up a little. The pully was first and there was a noticeable increase in torque. Next I fitted the carb and cam and it turned it into a cut cat. It was how it should've been from the factory, power was increased nicely with no loss of bottom end at all. It pulled very strongly from idle. It also had a free flow exhaust right through and k&n filter. On full throttle in third it was scrabbling at the road for traction, I can't recommend the upgrade highly enough, a lot more power than I expected from such quick and easy upgrades. Guy was also extremely helpful in the cam selection process. Hope this helps
Book # 34