Parts cleaning kit and tips

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Nobby

Parts cleaning kit and tips

Post by Nobby »

Hello everyone!

Long time reader and but first time poster.

In the next 6 months I will be fully dismantling a Fiat Coupe 20v turbo engine and rebuilding it back up to the correct standards. I've been following the progress of the 'DIY TC rebuild here and hopefully I can come up with something similar. As far as I know no-one has ever fully documented online the rebuilding of a 20vt engine before.

Enough of my waffling

I will be doing as much work on the engine as possible and I want to prepare for all the eventualities. So, can anyone give me any hints and tips on cleaning parts, de-carbonising and storing once cleaned?
I have a vast array of DIYer based products ranging from degreaser, brake cleaner, old rags, lint free cloths, wire wheels, carbide burrs, scrapers BUT I haven't got easy access to sand blasters, industrial cleaners etc.. I also don't have a dishwasher :( I am half tempted to buy a small air compressor to get with getting rid of swarf in hard to reach places.

On the storage side I already have various sandwich boxes, tupperware (shhh.... don't tell the missus), labels, marker pens, metal letter stamps and a dremel to engrave things if needed.

Similarly is there anything that definately should be NOT used, things that will damage parts or cause a build up in hidden places. Things like cillit bang are very good at getting off gunk but will they harm certain things?

Thanks in advance
Chris
Chris Burgess
GC 01
TomLouwrier

Re: Parts cleaning kit and tips

Post by TomLouwrier »

Hi Nobby,

Welcome!

Be careful with metal letter stamps, as you can easily damage things when giving them a good whack. Also the mark you make with them can turn out to be a nasty stress raiser meaning it will be the beginning of a crack, leading to breakage.

Best tip you'll ever get: buy Guy's book. It's all in there and loads more. If you can get a copy of the first one second hand: some much the better.

Good luck and I'll be following your rebuild for sure. I'm running a Coupe 1800 myself. One cylinder less and no turbo, but pretty much the same engine.

thank you
Tom
GC_29
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

I second Toms suggestion, get Guys book, its got everything youd probably ever need to ask, however im sure youll get plenty of answers and advice from the contributors here in any case.
Tony Warren. GC #96.
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Thanks Tom & Tony, I was planning on buying Guys book(s) at some point.

Tom - you own one of the rarely seen 1800 16v coupes! I don't think I've ever seen one.
Chris Burgess
GC 01
TomLouwrier

Post by TomLouwrier »

hi Chris,

Yes, bought it new in 1999. The turbo was no option and between the 1800 (135BHP)and the 2000 20v (150BHP) I figured that the 10% extra power would be offset by the 10% more weight. And considering that most of that weight would be in the nose of a FWD car, that would not help handling much. Nor fuel consumption.
Then I saw how tight the 20v fits in there. Suddenly the reason behind the much higher service costs for the 20v became clear. Everything takes so much more time to take out and put back in, each time it gets serviced.
So 1.8 16v it was. Now pushing the 295.000 mark, with a '3-ton' big big service coming up, and still delighted with it. 'Old school' breaking in, proper maintenance and no abuse while warming up will give you a very long and reliable drive train life.

If and when I get to rebuild this machine, I'll see if I can get it to give more than what the same block does in Alfa-guise (but with twin spark head). I think that marketing is the main reason why similar engines in a Fiat consistently make 10% less power than the AR version. A Fiat 1800 is on par with an AR 1600, the AR 1800 with the Fiat 2000, etc.
Well, one day I will know.

regards
Tom
GC_29
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Mini progress update (or lack of)

Engine is still being stored nicely - I made myself a cover from tarpaulin that fits over snuggly but can be removed easily too. I've been gently rocking the crank back and forth and put some lube into the cylinders to stop anything from seizing up (NB: No cambelt on the car currently so can't rotate fully).

Rebuild has been put on temporary hold until I can read Guys new book. Its on my Christmas list so it will be THE present that I'm most excited about getting this year. Surprisingly my girlfriend very much liked the idea of getting me a book - even if it is about oily bits.
Chris Burgess
GC 01
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I haven't counted but I reckon there could well be more shiny than oily things in the book. I hated doing the (oily) stripdown section FWIW!

G
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Post by Honza »

when I dismalted my engine from Tipo, I tried to clean some parts in hot water with ordinary detergent powder "REX" and with toothbrush- results is very nice, pistons and camshaft housing covers are clean like new apart of bad scoring on piston skirts.
The rest of the parts I ve cleaned with ordinary engine cleaner and high pressure (200bar) watter.

After that I dried the parts with airline and coated with thin layer of oil.

Now I would like to debbur all parts according to Guys book, modify the crankshaft (keyholes, slight lightening together with FW and balance belt pulley) and balance the rods. Hope that I will have a camera in my garage to make some photos.