1438 engine

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
eddie

1438 engine

Post by eddie »

Dear Guy

I have an original twin cam, a 1438cc in a 1969 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe (AC). Its not in great condition, but still manages to bring a smile to my face every time I drive it. The original engine is still there and I am in the process of some rust removal and a new paint scheme.

I have tossed around the idea for ages about fitting a relatively standard 1800cc for that extra bit or torque or actually giving the 1438 a rebuild with some performance mods.

I was wondering what sort of horsepower (I would understand if this is not a simple one line type of answer) I could get from the 1400 in fast road spec, but keeping the original single carburetor. I would like to upgrade to the fully mapped ignition and include a bit of extra compression if possible.

The biggest thing for me is the quality of work, which I can see yours is v.high class, that would enable me to get 10 years of trouble free motoring. It is unusual for me to rev any engine beyond 5000rpm and want a bit more torque and reliability rather than straight out maximum horse power.

I have always felt the with the AC model, because it is so light, the fun is not in the straight line drag race but flinging it into corners to see what will happen (haven¢ž¢t spun one yet, touch wood).

Is this a feasible idea, or should I bin it and buy a stock 1800 to install?

Any advise would be appreciated.

thank you

Eddie
snodge

Post by snodge »

Eddie

I have an unused GC built 1608 TC engine this would be perfect for your car.

Rgds

David
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

The condition of some parts on the 1438 can make overhaul a bit fraught, eg: oil pump, rods, rings, pistons (shrink fit I am pretty sure), crank. And it may be hard to get bearings. You need to do a full strip and inspect, and would I on that unit? Yes, for authenticity, it is a super little motor. Would I head straight for an 1800, no I absolutely would not. Always try and work with what you have on front of you in the first instance.

There are ways round the parts problem on the 1438.

GC
eddie

Post by eddie »

Sorry Snodge, would love to buy that motor, but 3.5k plus shipping in Aussies pesos is a bit too much for me.
fostertom

Post by fostertom »

Eddie, I've had the same question in mind for my 124AC. For me, if changing, then the 1756 is the only true possibility. Of the old TCs in my opinion the 1585 131 is the sweetest, next the 1756, then the 1438. The rest are various kinds of pudding, and don't even think of a 1995 tractor engine!
fostertom

Post by fostertom »

eddie,
>It is unusual for me to rev any engine beyond 5000rpm and want a bit more torque and reliability rather than straight out maximum horse power.>

The day I un-learned my feeling from a lifetime of driving 'other' cars, that anything over 5000 was excessive and unnecessary, that's when I really 'got it' about (the true) Fiat engines, i.e. 128 1300, 124 1438 and 1756, and Prisma ie 1585. Really, it's OK!
eddie

Post by eddie »

You're probably right, but my engine just seems to make more noise than power over these rpm. I don't doubt that it needs a tune up. It has been a while. maybe time to buy some new points and plugs. Maybe a dyno tune is the way to go.

I need the rust cut out of the door upright more though!!!