Limited slip diff for Lancia Beta Vx ?

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
keithvx

Limited slip diff for Lancia Beta Vx ?

Post by keithvx »

Hello again.

Can anybody give me some pointers on LSD options for Beta Vx. I believe, from reading a brief note in GC 's book, that Ford diffs have been used and that a Fiat/Lancia option is unlikely.

Many thanks,

Keith
TR-Spider

Post by TR-Spider »

Some of the older Fiat Ducato (diesel?) transporters have a Quaive Torsen-type diff which seems to have the right size for the Beta Montercarlo. It needs to find new flanges, matching them etc.
I haven't done this myself though, I just saw the diff lying around in a Workshop and was tempted...but then decided to leave my Monte original...for now.

Thomas
keithvx

limited slip diff / vx

Post by keithvx »

Thank you . That is an interesting option. i will investigate and report back if i have some success.

Regards Keith
Grundo Farb

Re: Limited slip diff for Lancia Beta Vx ?

Post by Grundo Farb »

Any update from anyone on this subject? I have been doing some research myself and other than Colotti who did the original Duo Block LSD for the 70's Beta rally car I am not coming up with much. Quaife offer an LSD for the current batch of fiats and Lancias (but also including the Delta Mk 1 and Alfa 155) and have sent me a technical drawing but I am not sure of the measurements for a Beta to see if it will fit.

I've attached the drawing to see if anyone is the wiser.

Anyone out there done this and know it works?

Ta.
Attachments
QDH2K.PDF
Quaife Tech drawing for Fiats.
(166.87 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
# 405 of 500
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Although I personally haven't tried it, the Quaife diff should fit the Beta diff case.
The problem is on the Beta diff the output shafts are part of the actual diff – the splined parts that you slide the nearside CV flange onto and the intermediate shaft that has the splined joining piece.
The other problem with the Quaife unit is that although they list the part they normally need at least 10 orders before they will make one.

I've used a Gripper diff in my Beta 'box – the cost is similar. This is a plate type diff, like the Colotti. I used the output and intermediate shaft from a Thema box - the Beta intermediate shaft needs lengthening by cutting/splicing/welding the end of the Thema shaft on to it.
However, I want to get this shaft made as one piece as I don't think it will take the torque that I will be subjecting it to - but it works fine at the moment. You will also need the 2 Thema diff oil seal carriers that bolt to the side of the diff. It also allows you to use the plastic speedometer gear if needed.

Hope this helps. I've attached a picture of the Gripper diff for reference.

Thanks,
Chris
Attachments
LSD.jpg
LSD.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 9776 times
Grundo Farb

Post by Grundo Farb »

Thats excellent stuff, which gripper diff is it or are they all the same?
# 405 of 500
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

It's listed as Alfa 164 on their website.
tmvolumex

Post by tmvolumex »

An Italian company called Transtad made a Torsen / Quaffe style LSD for Lancia Betas. A friend of mine, has one in his Lancia Scorpion that is powered by a, Integrale, 16 valve engine (300hp) and it is holding up fine. I also installed one in my Lancia Scorpion Volumex and broke an output shaft in the first 100 meters. Another Lancia owner I know installed one in a Lancia Montecarlo and he also broke an output shaft. The Transtad LSD survived in the 300 hp car because it used factory output shafts that inserted into the diff (actually a Thema transaxle and LSD). The other 2 Lancia Betas utilized the Transtad supplied shafts on the diff and they failed. Apparently the heat treatment of the shafts was done incorrectly and the shafts were as brittle as glass. The center section of the 2 different style diffs, Thema and Beta are the same, just the output shaft arrangement is different. Transtad did eventually supply me with replacement output shafts but I have not rebuilt the diff and made the transaxle swap. Not sure if Transtad still makes LSD for Lancia Betas or not. Their Italian web site is still up however.
GC_31
Grundo Farb

Post by Grundo Farb »

Thanks for that. As luck would have it I have found (and subsequently bought) a colotti duo-block LSD which a guy has had but never installed in a car. The nice thing about this is that colotti were the works Lancia suppliers for the boxes and LSD's through the 70's and 80's (including the beta coupe grp.4, stratos, 037 and S4). The nice thing about this diff is it is a straight remove and replace - which I have to say is appealing.

They are still around and you can still buy them from them - but they aren't cheap...
# 405 of 500
Fingers

Post by Fingers »

Just how much is not cheap?
Book # 34