Question about cooling fans on Radiator

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
cantfindausername

Question about cooling fans on Radiator

Post by cantfindausername »

This is the last qustion on my charge cooler set up I swear!

As I said in previous posts, I'm running a Fiat Cinquecento radiator up the front of my car, to cool the water for my boot mounted charge cooler.

The pump flow rate is ~13.3L/min and the pipe ID is 19mm.

I'm somewhat concerned about the water temp raising during traffic, so am considering installing a 9" SPAL fan on the radiator for this system.

Do you think this would be a necessary addition to the system? I'm really wanting to keep the charge cooler water as cool as possible to make it as efficient as it can be.

Thanks,
Ant
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Way round this, is to run a double core radiator. Its known in the trade as an "amazon core" Contact your local Radiator company, who will be able to double core it for you.
Also, you could "tunnel" the cold air feed into the radiator by sealing the sides up. this will increase the efficiency of the radiator.

Andy.
cantfindausername

Dont' have a local radiator company that I know of round here. Plus space is limited. There is no way I could install a double thinckness core. This one is tricky enough to get in as it is. The idea with the fan is to mount it on the back with the rad in place. Its got direct air flow as its at the very front of the car, but its not that which concerns me. Its while stationary that I'm wanting to continue airflow.
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Perhaps then a 3 stage fan as on the Integrales, where the fan runs at different speeds in relation to temperature. You could also have a dash mounted override switch when things get hot.
Are you going to run "water wetter" ? This will reduce your hot running by several degrees.

Andy.
cantfindausername

I am thinking of water wetter, so will look more into it. I think a quick solution is turning the radiator around and see if I can mount it closer to the stock coolant radiator, and then hard wire in the now redundant A/C fan to pull the air through. I think this seems the quickest solution, as long as it doesn't cool the engine water temp too far.

Will see how it goes.