Hydraulic Handbrake query

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
cantfindausername

Hydraulic Handbrake query

Post by cantfindausername »

This isn't strictly for competition car prep, but its definately not Engine related.

I've been revisiting the possibility of upgrading my brakes one day in the future. Since recently doing my clutch system completely custom, I have had thoughts about doing the same with my brakes. (getting a bit more confident with hydraulics)

The main issue for me from the word go, is the fact that the rear brakes run the same caliper/piston for the handbrake as they do the foot brake, but on using a cable.

So a few options then came to mind.

1) Fitting a line lock to the rear brake line. However, I'm unsure of the legalities of this, and how it would fair up on an MOT?
2) Converting to a hydraulic handbrake. Would this simply be a case of tee-ing off the foot brake lines to both the HB master cylinder aswell as the Foot master cylinders?

I'm not overly convinced with off the shelf big brake kits as they dont appear to me to be thought out. They're simply bigger. I want to completely address the system from the Master Cylinder, lines, calipers, pads. The lot. A well thought out, well matched, upgraded system.

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2 suggestions to the HB issue above?

Thanks,
Ant
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Ant,

FWIW on a road car I am pretty sure a that hydraulic handbrake of any kind is not MOT legal unless it is also supplemented by an OE spec cable system. It is for emergency stop reasons that the handbrake must be by non-hydraulic method.

GC
cantfindausername

Really? Blimey, I wasn't aware of that!

thank you Guy. :!:

Ant
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

this is correct regarding the MOT. I would think this is only needed in rallying and drifting. Could you think about 2 systems, perhaps a cable lever in a sigthly different location in the cabin?
book 38
cantfindausername

Main reason I'm looking at it is because I want to do away with the stock calipers, and just have a descent set of calipers on there.

I think I might have to look at the Wilwood single pot "e-brake" caliper by the sounds of things.
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

THere are two ways of making it first is to leave cable slightly loose so that it will not actually brake and make fit the clutch pump so that it will be actuated by the standard lever(inside cabin for sure) this will keep original cable operated handbrake and give you powerfull hydro handbrake, this will also allow using e-brake lever lock. the other option is to put separate calipers(best would be from front brakes of some other car that will suit the disc brake in the rear),fabricate the brackets(5mm steel will be enough) and install additional lever in the car or even it is possible to make it work with standard lever on the same condition as described earlier.
Second option is good if you have a car with X brake system, first option is good if you have front-rear brake system. In the second option you will need to have a fluid reservoir in the cabin that might make some mess when filling the system. If you wish to use also a brake proportioning valve remeber to install it before handbrake pump as it will reduce the pressure made by the handbrake.
Kev Rooney

Post by Kev Rooney »

Hi Guy, I was also under the impression that the parking brake should be mechanical NOT hydraulic. However some of my MOT tester friends pointed out to me that it IS acceptable to have hydraulic set up providing the car is pre '68.

Link to relevant section of MOT manual attached :-
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_310.htm
cantfindausername

Thanks for the link Kev. Will check that out.
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

What about using these:

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/po ... ?pID=11370

I was having a look at them at the Autosports show earlier this year, nice simple design, although I can't comment any further having not used them myself.

Martin.
cantfindausername

Will have to have a look through the pages as thats just a pop up image. But I think I know what ones you're referring to.

If the piston size is right, then it could be a viable option.