fitting a different clutch master cylinder

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
cantfindausername

fitting a different clutch master cylinder

Post by cantfindausername »

Well for some reason my Tilton clutch has eaten its way through another Master Cylinder. This was brand new 2 weeks ago, and now its not working.

It appears that the stock Master Cylinder is too small to move the required fluid, and assuming hold the pressure of the clutch. The MC push rod is adjusted to pretty much the end. Any more and it will fall out of the pedal.

So, I am looking to upgrade to a 3/4" Master Cylinder as this is whats recommended by Tilton. I would like to use a Tilton MC just to finish off the system, but the push rod needs to be M8 thread, and Tilton are all UNF, so that is now off the list. Now looking at AP Racing mainly

The difficulties I can see for swapping to a different Master Cylinder is the mounting points.

Do you think it will be ok just to drill 2 new holes through the bulkhead for mounting?

Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Many thanks,
Ant
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Ant,

sure you can drill the bulkhead for the AP cylinder, but make sure you don't drill thru anything like cables or pipes etc!
I suppose the only thing to watch for is if the bulkhead mounting is weaker where the new bolts go it might need a little alloy or steel spreader plate on the clutch side of the wall.

GC
cantfindausername

yes someone on the US board that I'm on suggested the backing plate also.

I'm in the process of trying to piecing the kit together now before I order anything to make sure I know what I'm doing. I've got some aluminium that I can make the plate out of, so thats fine.

Earls Direct seem to be a good place to get the fittings from. I've used these before and they're very quick at delivery and well priced.

On the actual MC side of it though I'm finding that most people carry only the UNF threaded push rod version. I will have a look at lunch to see if I can some how modify the stock clevis (which is M8) to accept the 5/16" UNF thread. Looking at possibly epoxy, then re tap it at the moment. Or wether I can locate an actual UNF clevis that will fit the pedal.

Any suggestions on how best to get round this clevis issue would be appreciated.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Try Raceparts UK in Wallingfor Oxon for the right clevis - very good firm - 01491 822000
I'd caution against rethreading..

http://www.raceparts.co.uk

GC
cantfindausername

Thanks Guy.

I had looked at their site after a google search brought it up. Will give them a call after I've measured up the dimensions of the stocker one.

I have just figued something out to. I will be able to get any clevis as long as the width of the opening is wide enough and it has the correct UNF thread. I was initially trying to match the total length, but if I end up with the 160mm push rod, I can cut this down to match the total length I'm after.

I guess I could also if need be, open up the clevis a little to fit over the pedal mounting.

I'm starting to think a little clearer now - takes me a while sometimes.
cantfindausername

Ok I think I'm all sorted.

Spoke to raceparts but they didn't have the MC I was after. Its not really a stocked part.

Basically i've just gone through all the distributors on AP Racings website. Got to Mardi Gras Motorsport and they had the cylinder, but with the wrong push rod, and another cylinder with the right push rod, so they said they'll change them over for me. Also got a matching resevoir coming from them too. Them changing the push rods means that I can use my existing clevis.

Then was on the phone to Earls for some fittings and -3 Braided line, and a few fittings so I can hook it all up to my existing hard pipe center section.

Think I'm going to end up taking a file to the bulk head to open it out as its only 1mm of all sides.

Looking forward to getting all this together now!

Ant