Limited slip differential problems

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
Walezy

Re: Limited slip differential problems

Post by Walezy »

Yes, but ramp and spring lock LSD have plates. The difference is how they are locked. Spring type(can be also merged with other than teeth type diff - see colotti Due- block design) has a preload made by springs that are under tension all the time. On the ramp diff you get the locking force by a difference in torque on both wheels and also depends on torque given from the gearbox.So a ramp diff will be locking with almost the same force all the time when you turn and will not depend on the wear of the plates too much.
Book#378
cypriot

Post by cypriot »

RedLexus wrote:I fitted a new LSD to a friends 131 Abarth , supplied unmarked in a box , so had no idea of preload , manufactures etc... had exactly the same banging on it when turning , it frightened the sh.. the unacceptable off me the first time I heard it! Does it eventually go out of it? Bearing in mind it's a road car , and it sounds terrible in town....

Hello RedLexus,
I also have Fiat 131 2.0 Twincam and want to upgrade its differential. can you please give me brand, type etc. of the LSD which you fitted to your friend vehicle?

is it rigid axle or independent?

thank you

cypriot
trncipclawyer.com
RedLexus

Post by RedLexus »

cypriot wrote:
Hello RedLexus,
I also have Fiat 131 2.0 Twincam and want to upgrade its differential. can you please give me brand, type etc. of the LSD which you fitted to your friend vehicle?

is it rigid axle or independent?

thank you

cypriot

The Abarth is an independant suspension axle , the Lsd was supplied unmarked , so I do not know the manufacturer , sorry . I think it probably came from Guy Mourenhout .
I am about to fit one to a rigid axle non-Abarth, this week , so I can try find out more about that one? It is a 131 2.0 Rally Car , Group 2 Spec.
Attachments
Abarth Diff and Sport (rigid axle) diff.
Abarth Diff and Sport (rigid axle) diff.
italian midland meet+l2b+goodwood 034 (Small).jpg (71.46 KiB) Viewed 4829 times
Ford Sigma KA. GC_43
RedLexus

Post by RedLexus »

sorry , in that picture , the Sport LSD is on the left , and a non LSD one I removed from the Abarth axle is on the right , the alloy cover is the side plate of the diff casing . No removable rear cover on those.
Attachments
looking into an Abarth diff casing from the side.
looking into an Abarth diff casing from the side.
italian midland meet+l2b+goodwood 037 (Small).jpg (61.09 KiB) Viewed 4827 times
Ford Sigma KA. GC_43