Impoving handling of Fiat 128 / Yugo / Ritmo

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
myte128

Re: Impoving handling of Fiat 128 / Yugo / Ritmo

Post by myte128 »

Thanks Paul. I have an anti-roll/sway bar already, the problem is that the shape of the Fiat 128 sway bar stops you from having a 5 speed box. All the 'real' 128's were 4 speed AFAIK and just the 'foreign' versions got the 5 speed, so I don't know how much luck I will have. Spose I'll give it a go though. thank you.
thank you, Scott.
GTAmax

Post by GTAmax »

Nikola:

Here in argentina we have 128 with 5 speed gearbox. With lowered suspension cars we have the same problem with the sway bar.
I have custom made a gearbox support (I don´t know the exact word) to raise up the gearbox a little. I have done a new plate with the holes on a different possition, so when the gearbox is bolted on, it raises up. 2 or 3 cm should be enough to do the work, as the support is under the engine/gearbox connection.
Hope you can understand my poor english
___
Agustin Barreiro
NickRP

Post by NickRP »

Hi Augustin,

Interesting idea, indeed.

By the way, my engine / gearbox assembly is positioned 7mm lower than stock, in order to clear the hood :(. Engine block is taller than 1.1/1.3, and this causes interference problems, even with quite thin (but still not restrictive) "cap" over carburettor.
Yugo with 1580ccm engine (block is from 1499ccm Lancia Delta)
Yugo with 1580ccm engine (block is from 1499ccm Lancia Delta)
IMG_0056_small.jpg (170.38 KiB) Viewed 5932 times
You are lucky to have that much space... should I position the engine 20-30mm higher, I'd definitely need to cut through the hood, or use completely different intake system.

Best regards,
Nikola
GC_98