1108 FIRE gearbox bellhousing

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
hcd

1108 FIRE gearbox bellhousing

Post by hcd »

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone can get hold of any technical drawings relating to the bellhousing for the 1108cc FIRE engine?

I would like to see if it's possible to mate it to a Ford Rocket (Type E) gearbox.

Thanks,
Huw
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Huw

there is no direct commonality in mountings, but that may not be a big problem, we've married the Reliant gearbox to the Fire unit after all.

However, referring to our telecon about the size of the, er Ford box (Rocket ?) here is a photo of a Ford 5 speed unit with (unremoveable) remote gearshift, in this case married to a 131 Tc bellhousing via adaptor plate, see how long it is..

GC
Attachments
Fiat 131 2 liter bellhousing married to Ford (Type 9 ?) 5 speed gearbox via GC adaptor kit. Great gearbox, race internals available. 4 speed versions also available, use Quaife and TranX gearsets, nice..
Fiat 131 2 liter bellhousing married to Ford (Type 9 ?) 5 speed gearbox via GC adaptor kit. Great gearbox, race internals available. 4 speed versions also available, use Quaife and TranX gearsets, nice..
Type 9 adaptor fitted_02.JPG (16.01 KiB) Viewed 6841 times
hcd

Post by hcd »

Hello Guy,

Attached is a pic of a 1108 gearbox (best I could find I'm afraid). It looks as if the bell housing is separate to the gearbox.

It's a bit big as is and will need some mods, but does look like the same arrangement (plate between the bell housing / gearbox) will work.

Quaife make a shortened tail case for the Rocket gearbox, which reduces the length by 10", making it 3" longer than the existing Reliant. Unfortunately, the gearstick is right at the back making it 7 - 9" further back than in the Reliant.

From memory, I can't move the engine any further forward (unless the engine is raised 1.5" - which will make my car look very odd indeed).

This does look like a go-er though.

Huw
Attachments
1108 gearbox.JPG
1108 gearbox.JPG (57.81 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
vcg

Re: 1108 FIRE gearbox bellhousing

Post by vcg »

Hi Guy,

Surfing you increadible source of info site I stepped into the picture of the ford gearbox mated to the 131 bellhousing. I still have a Ford type 9 tran-x 5 speed gearbox I kept from a MK1 that I sold ages ago. Could I use this gearbox in my 124 spider or in my 131 Racing? Will it fit? If yes can you supply me the adaptor plate for either 124 or 131 bellhousing?

Thanks,
Vassilis
124 BS1, 124 BC1, 131 Racing, E Type 4.2 SII, XJ-S 3.6
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 1108 FIRE gearbox bellhousing

Post by Guy Croft »

Sure Vassilis,

131 5 speed bellhousing, yes, drop me a line by email,

GC