Reducing the drag (aerodynamic)

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
romilos

Reducing the drag (aerodynamic)

Post by romilos »

My car is peugeot 106 s2 (model 2000)
I m wondering how i can impove aerodynamic of my car so i can reduce the drag.
I ve seen that the lower the car is the better it is after 120-130km/h!

Is there any easy (details) way of reducing the drag?
Julian

Post by Julian »

First of all I suggest you take a quick look at this thread: viewtopic.php?t=257 as much of what you will want to know is mentioned there.

The quick and simple way to reduce drag is to lower the car and smooth out the surfaces of the car.

You've already worked the first one out but the second one takes a bit more consideration. Basically you want to remove all of the panel gaps that you can get away with and dispose of anything you can get away with that protrudes (aerial, wipers, wing mirrors). Not all of these are practical - it really depends on the purpose of the vehicle.

If you don't already have a spoiler on the hatch it might be worth considering finding a factory one as these do a fine job of smoothing out the air flow at the rear. Don't spend big money on it though - nothing you can do is going to make a massive difference.

The only other thing worth considering is a lower front spoiler (as opposed to just lowering the whole car). It is a bit old-school but it works.

You already have a small car with reasonably good aerodynamics unless you are going much, much faster.