Uno Turbo close ratio gearbox build for hillclimb

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
Slim

Re: Uno Turbo close ratio gearbox build for hillclimb

Post by Slim »

I've looked at the Punto Rotrex on FF. It would be interesting to know how he managed smashing 3rd gear? The part missing from the selector part could be the cause? Did that part brake away and cause the teeth of 3rd gear to fail? In my mind there are only two possible causes of this gearbox failure. Human error or a fault in the part. I would not have thought 170Nm is not enough torque to do this. I thought the C510 box is capable of taking double the standard amount of torque.
GC_36
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

So hard to say. A lot will depend on use. One of the Cinq turbos was putting out 140bhp and snapped a couple of driveshafts (thinner shafts, I think, than the Puntos), while another seems to be intermittently putting out 170bhp (doesn't spend a lot of time on the road) and no transmission issues.

It's not uncommon, though, for youths to destroy differentials and create issues of the boxes jumping out of 2nd or 3rd. One day I'll strip such a box and see what happened (rather than chuck it in the skip).

There's an interesting thread by turbonutter on Piston Heads What Engine for 500BHP detailing the build of his second Stratos replica and what happens to (and expensive cures for!) the Alfa V6 box when you put close to 500bhp through it. In the end though, he retrofitted the box from an MR2 turbo. In good health they'll take 700bhp +.

Just a thought -- I wonder if Bacci ever did CR gearsets for the Uno Tub (etc.) box? They were doing LSDs for the Cinqs and Puntos long before Quaiffe were persuaded to do so.
GC_06
Slim

Post by Slim »

Yes, Bacci do a synchromesh gearkit for the C510 box but it costs £1300. I'm trying to do it on the cheap at this time but will probably save up for a Bacci dog engagement kit in the near future.

Liam
GC_36