Torque split front to rear

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
Taouxis

Torque split front to rear

Post by Taouxis »

Hi everyone. Iv viewed exploded views of the drive system on the delta integrale but I just like to get others knowledge. Is it the viscous coupling in the transfer box the controlling factor for the front rear split. Any help would be great
TomLouwrier

Re: Torque split front to rear

Post by TomLouwrier »

Hi Taouxis,

Not really, the split between front and rear is basically set by the gear ratios in the epicyclic (planetary) differential. It is a fixed factor of about 55% to the front and 45% to the rear (early models) or the reverse (later models), depending on model and year.
The viscous coupling next to the transfer box does help to send torque to one axle if the other loses traction. In that respect you're right.
The rear axle on the Integrales had a lockable diff (electro-pneumatic) that cuts out at about 20km/hr, the 155Q4 had a Torsen in there.

Hope this helps.

regards
Tom
GC_29
Taouxis

Re: Torque split front to rear

Post by Taouxis »

Yes that is a great reply thanks a lot. It's a very complex system. I have here a 16v Integrale rear diff with Torsen and a Dedra integrale unit with the pneumatic diff lock system but I think I will go with the Torsen. I guess il be looking for a 16v gearbox diff now as I would like slightly more power to the rear end