propshaft problem help needed, Lada 2107 la VFTS

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
Guy Croft
Site Admin

propshaft problem help needed, Lada 2107 la VFTS

Post by Guy Croft »

Request from Adam Rolek to me via FB last night, can anyone advise please?

Lada 2107 la VFTS
1450ccm engine with improved capacity to 1580ccm, sports camshaft, two carburetors horizontal thrust, exhaust manifold 4-2-1 ......... and even more hard work and modification, transmission, drive shaft and the remaining serial used a shorter rear axle ratio 4.44. Many a jaw dropped seeing the results of my work at rallies, in which I participate. But I have problems connecting to the transmission drive shaft, namely tore me several times flexible coupling and do not know from what car I could apply it to this part of the work is appropriate. Similar joints are mostly Mercedes and BMW but not sure of what to use. Have you seen a similar problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv5TdKBqaWo

THANKS, GC
Guy Croft, owner
Urbancamo

Re: propshaft problem help needed, Lada 2107 la VFTS

Post by Urbancamo »

Always nice to see a rally Lada!

Please check your transmission/engine to prop shaft alignment carefully. Gearbox output shaft must be perfectly inline with the first part of the prop shaft. Engine might be bit on the other side of the engine bay or gear box tail might be pointing at the wrong way in vertical direction. Or both.

I broke two rubber couplings even with stock engine when there was a slight alignment issue with these parts. Rubber coupling heats up like h*ll if the alignment isn't correct and rpms used in rallying will destroy it very quickly.
Rubber coupling cannot handle torsional stress pretty much at all. It's designed to work with almost zero torsional stress.

These parts have been used for decades in rallying without any major issues. If you still have factory syncromesh gearbox and maybe a standard/slighly upgraded clutch, driveline isn't really much stressed.
Situation changes when you have straight cut dog box and competion pressure plate with sintered clutch disk wich doesn't have center springs. Driveline gets real hard shocks compared to factory car. And still the OE rubber coupling will hold on.

Just a slight hint : remove that rear stabilizer bar. You don't need that, no one uses them. Not especially in gravel rallying and I don't know any reason why you should keep it in tarmac either. It only weakens your rear grip and makes rear axle less "live".
Old phrase says; the wheel wich doesn't stay in ground, doesn't move your car forward.
I also suggest you to lower the rear end, it sit's bit too high for a rally Lada. When your skirt line is straight or very slightly downwards to rear when both drivers are in, it's close. It does improve the rear traction and rear geometry, makes the car less prone to understeer and makes it more stable in braking situations.

T
Last edited by Urbancamo on May 8th, 2013, 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC_25
badlyworntoy

Post by badlyworntoy »

I agree with Tommi, back end looks very high maybe because the wheels he's running are too wide?

As Lada's run a live axle the propshaft needs to float, maybe excessive axle movement is stressing the donut? Its possible but not likley.

Anyway the total solution to that Donut problem is here :-

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2921&hilit=propshaft

Although this particular setup is designed for use with a 131 gearbox, It could easily be used on the Lada gearbox as their designs are identical.

Way better design than that stupid Donut setup.

Nix
ace124

Post by ace124 »

Im actually in the process of having something made up to add support to the rubber donut. If you can wait a couple of weeks ill post pix of my solution which is based on something i saw on a vfts car years ago.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Tommi the Finn, Nix, Ace 124, thank you so much for replying....

I expect Adam will join here tomorrow and express his appreciation personally and comment on your generous and well-informed replies,

sincerely - and thanks guys,

G
Guy Croft, owner
adek_rlk

Post by adek_rlk »

Hello to all
Thank you for your advice and interest in my problem,
What was the problem? We found that the bearing supporting the drive shaft which is mounted in a rubber sheath is damaged, and the sheath is actually damaged. This caused the shaft instead of being in the center of the tunnel, lying on the support of that same item. Rubber was worn out and the bearing supporting the shaft was more or less an 1 inch lower than it should be. Genuine Parts already ordered from Russia and probably today or tomorrow I should receive it.
'll Let you know what effect it would bring.

Adam

sorry for my english :)
ace124

Post by ace124 »

Here is my solution.
Copied it of a genuine VFTS car i saw a few years ago.
Have not tried it yet. Hopefully soon.
Attachments
20130531_192958.jpg
20130531_192958.jpg (290.51 KiB) Viewed 24886 times