LSD for Fiat 124 CC Coupe

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
FiatRally

Re: LSD for Fiat 124 CC Coupe

Post by FiatRally »

Hallo Gents,

I have a 1978 Fiat Rally 131 fitted with a 3.9 Borg Warner diff. I have been looking at replacing the diff and spoke to a company called Lada World to obtain a diff to fit this housing.

The problem is that my sideshafts have 23 splines!! The person got back to me and explained that Lada does not cater for 23 spline.

I gave bearing numbers and the width of the area left to right where the main bearings holding the diff in place bolt down. Also the diameter of the "crownwheel" and a photo of the diff portion and crownwheel is needeed.

This is all information that is needed to make sure that you get a diff portion that will fit inside your diff housing.

In South Africa it seems that Fiat used what they had in stock to assemble cars and some of the cars are using a real mix. The factory closed and Fiat was busy pulling out! So what could be used to get cars out was put together!!

After opening my diff up and cleaning the crownwheel I found it was stamped 3.9 and LS.

Is it possible to post a photo of your diff housing from the back as well as the bottom or top?

Ernst
Attachments
20130318_130125.jpg
20130318_130125.jpg (87.48 KiB) Viewed 21857 times
GC_75
FiatRally

Post by FiatRally »

Borg Warner 131 Diff Top View.
Attachments
20130320_120828.jpg
20130320_120828.jpg (104.46 KiB) Viewed 21857 times
GC_75
Urbancamo

Post by Urbancamo »

Ernst

The Fiat 131 "Dana"-type differential/rear axle is totally different than Fiat 124/Lada one. Lada differential won't fit properly, the 131 diff has bit bigger dimensions and spline count too as you have noticed.
Only Fiat differentials wich will eat Lada differential are the ones wich are found in 124/125 series. They will have complete, separate diff unit wich can be dismounted towards the front of the car.

There is also almost similar diff found in Fiat 132 I believe, but it's bigger in size and again, no interchange here either.

T
GC_25
Simon

Post by Simon »

I looked at LSD options the Dana rear axle too some time ago, but ended up very confused as to whether anything was available at all; most options were for the 124/Lada rear end. Can anyone confirm a source for an LSD for the Dana axle please?
GC_15
adek_rlk

Post by adek_rlk »

Hello
I know that the main transmission Fiat is different from Lada, because the Russians have to have everything else and drive axle has 22 teeth.

But on this page you can see how the Torsen differential and LSD to Lada looks http://tuningsport.ru/market/

By the way, once in a while I make purchases with them and I must say parts from them are very good quality

Adam

sorry for my english
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

ADAM!

Your intro letter stated:

"I have read the protocols and I will respect them"

One of the Protocols says that my permission is required for links.

I will let it go this time but kindly follow Protocols in future. They are posted at top level all over this site, for good reason!

GC
Guy Croft, owner