Fiat Spider preparation for Hill Climb Car - advice needed

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
snodge

Fiat Spider preparation for Hill Climb Car - advice needed

Post by snodge »

Hi,

I have a 77 Fiat CS1 Spider with an 1800 GC engine. I am now looking at prepping the car for hill climbs. Any advice regarding rules and regulations and other tips would be welcomely received.

A 2L 131 gearbox and LSD for my 124 Axle are high on the list as are a pair of 44 IDF's and an accusump accumulator set up.

Kind regards

David
Attachments
spider2.jpg
spider2.jpg (24.8 KiB) Viewed 24846 times
Spider 1.jpg
Spider 1.jpg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 24846 times
spider3.jpg
spider3.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 24846 times
Last edited by snodge on March 3rd, 2013, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC_113
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 124 CS1-Hill Climb Car

Post by Guy Croft »

I relocated this post Dave,

G
Guy Croft, owner
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Fiat Spider preparation for Hill Climb Car - advice need

Post by Guy Croft »

Anyone with current exp of RAC regs for this kind of preparation please post advice here. I would but I am unable to devote time - still trying to clear a massive backlog after the split with Natasha.

Cages, hoses, fire systems, harness etc - the lot.

Dave has not done this before but wants to.

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Rallyroller

Post by Rallyroller »

Hello David

First thing to decied is are you looking at a particualr class? Standard, modified etc. If class is not an issue then things are easier. If you have a look at differnt classes and different championships, you might want to tailor the mods to suit. Contact a local club who hillclimb, or look up websites for hillclimb venues and track down the clubs that put on evenets. ALso have a look at entry regulations, these are a useful way to understand the basics that are required ,and usually reference the relavent MSA regs that apply.

Regarding rules and regs I think they can be found online at MSA web site. ( Blue book) . There will be minimum requirements that you must have. I think that for road going cars, these are pretty basic. Only you can decide how safe you want to be.

Specifics that you mentioned, is yours still the early diff or the later diff? Early diffs LSD avaialble from Ladasport, and also Collotti. Roll Cage- Sparco is a good one (My rally spider has one as does Simons I think). Fit is very good, and I think you can still drop the soft top. DT list them now in their catalogue.

Front suspension could be an issue. My rally spider has rose jointed rods to the front ( tension struts). Abarths have rod to the rear ( compression strut?) . If you want details of mine (which are genuine works rally type) I can send you a few more details. As a minimum you need to work on the crossmember.

Most other things are of personal choice, and will be limited by budget, regs and time.

Good luck and keep us posted. Any pics?
GC_13
snodge

Post by snodge »

Hi and thanks for the reply. My car has the early axle. I cannot afford a Collotti diff so the Ladasport options looks viable.

My budget is limited so I wont be able to modify the brakes or suspension to much. I have konis all round; slotted and drilled discs with Argenta callipers and EBC green pads.

The body has been extensively restored by a very competent guy who has done a nice job.

A roll cage, bag tank and fire eater would seem appropriate along with some seats and harnesses. Other than that (and the 131 box) it would be pretty much standard. I would not fit the interior trim only the dash.

I will post some photos of the shell.

I live in Bristol so Prescott, Shelsey Walsh and Wiscombe Park are all reasonably close.

My driving skills aren't great but I have some friends who are pretty good. My brother is mate of the original stig so hopefully he can have a go!!

Any further advice would be welcomely recieved.

Many thanks

David
GC_113
badlyworntoy

Post by badlyworntoy »

Hi Dave

If you require any advice about Lada Torsen Diffs speak to Tommi the Finn (Urbancamo) he knows more about this subject than anyone on here and has the results to prove.

They can be bought for the best prices in Germany, even with shipping to the uk.

I can PM details if required.

Nix
snodge

Post by snodge »

Photos of the shell added to post. did you fit the 131 box? Do you have any photos if you modified the transmission tunnel? Regards David
Rallyroller wrote:Hello David

First thing to decied is are you looking at a particualr class? Standard, modified etc. If class is not an issue then things are easier. If you have a look at differnt classes and different championships, you might want to tailor the mods to suit. Contact a local club who hillclimb, or look up websites for hillclimb venues and track down the clubs that put on evenets. ALso have a look at entry regulations, these are a useful way to understand the basics that are required ,and usually reference the relavent MSA regs that apply.

Regarding rules and regs I think they can be found online at MSA web site. ( Blue book) . There will be minimum requirements that you must have. I think that for road going cars, these are pretty basic. Only you can decide how safe you want to be.

Specifics that you mentioned, is yours still the early diff or the later diff? Early diffs LSD avaialble from Ladasport, and also Collotti. Roll Cage- Sparco is a good one (My rally spider has one as does Simons I think). Fit is very good, and I think you can still drop the soft top. DT list them now in their catalogue.

Front suspension could be an issue. My rally spider has rose jointed rods to the front ( tension struts). Abarths have rod to the rear ( compression strut?) . If you want details of mine (which are genuine works rally type) I can send you a few more details. As a minimum you need to work on the crossmember.

Most other things are of personal choice, and will be limited by budget, regs and time.

Good luck and keep us posted. Any pics?
GC_113