Engine calibration/mapping suggestions

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
DeltaDave

Engine calibration/mapping suggestions

Post by DeltaDave »

Hi there everyone, I will shortly be requiring the services of someone to run in and calibrate/map my Integrale 16V engine (as prepped by Guy) It will be running a DTA engine management. Can anyone recommend a top quality engine calibration/mapper with experience of the Lancia Integrale engine, DTA engine management and a 4 wheel rolling road or dynopack In the UK?
1NRO

Re: Engine calibration/mapping suggestions

Post by 1NRO »

Simply on reputation I'd suggest considering Leighton from FC Performance, many happy Fiat Coupe owners and some integrales too.
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

Thakyou for your suggestion but it seems like they not have the facilities that I am looking for. Although i have also heard the name mentioned before it seems like he does his main mapping on the road.

I will state some of my requirements.

1. Whole project has cost somewhere between £80k to £100k and over 7 years of hard work to put together (so you see how important this is to me).
2. Must have a 4 wheel Dynopack, Im not risking my whole last 7 years on rollers nor road.
4. Reputation must include more than 6 years experience and good recomendations that can be checked out.
5. The installation is more than likely to produce more than 500 bhp.
6. Must have good experience with DTA ecu system.
7. Must also be ok with me spending all of the mapping time learning about how the system works on my car. Also to be there to sort any other teething issues.

What im really looking for is someone who has already had a good experience with an engine mapper with these qualities/equipment that owns a genuine 500+bhp car
1NRO wrote:Simply on reputation I'd suggest considering Leighton from FC Performance, many happy Fiat Coupe owners and some integrales too.
Last edited by DeltaDave on May 14th, 2012, 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

The hard work will pay off I'm sure.
Last edited by 1NRO on May 14th, 2012, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

1NRO wrote:The hard work will pay off I'm sure
Many thanks
Last edited by DeltaDave on May 14th, 2012, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Leighton is well thought of in the online Fiat / Lancia clubs.

Dave when you say dynapack, do you mean 'hub' configuration ?
Twice as many valves
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

Yes Tricky I mean hub configuation.

I am currently looking at 3 options that I have traced from the Dynapack website. Maybe some of you may be able to shed a little light.
The 3 companies are:-
Thor Racing (Coventry)
Advanced Motorsport & Engineering (Silverstone)
PJ Motorsports & Performance centre (in Willenhall near Wolverhampton).
tricky wrote:Leighton is well thought of in the online Fiat / Lancia clubs.

Dave when you say dynapack, do you mean 'hub' configuration ?
tricky

Post by tricky »

Advance motorsport is who I was building up to mention, out of three personal (local) freinds of mine one had a bad experience with this company, but It could partly be put down to that freinds own in-experience in some way if you know what I mean.

A mate built a gt4 (ST205) engine which took some years to get running right, the fella who built the engine was a great engine builder who ran a small motorsport firm. The car made 588 hp but for years suffered a multitude of normal running problems asociated with the calibration. Advance motorsport spent a whole day on it and it ran like a peach and made 600 hp. Also the other story was on an evo 3 stroker build which was mapped there and ran / started / drove nicely, made 400 bhp @ 1bar.

I know there only stories and not direct opinion but I had some form of involvement in both the cars and drove both before and after. And I know my freinds were very satisfiyed (well two of them).
Twice as many valves
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

Thankyou mate. maybe you could fill me in more details about the bad experience in a pm instead of writing in the post, then i can make my own mind up?

Dave
tricky wrote:Advance motorsport is who I was building up to mention, out of three personal (local) freinds of mine one had a bad experience with this company, but It could partly be put down to that freinds own in-experience in some way if you know what I mean.

A mate built a gt4 (ST205) engine which took some years to get running right, the fella who built the engine was a great engine builder who ran a small motorsport firm. The car made 588 hp but for years suffered a multitude of normal running problems asociated with the calibration. Advance motorsport spent a whole day on it and it ran like a peach and made 600 hp. Also the other story was on an evo 3 stroker build which was mapped there and ran / started / drove nicely, made 400 bhp @ 1bar.

I know there only stories and not direct opinion but I had some form of involvement in both the cars and drove both before and after. And I know my freinds were very satisfiyed (well two of them).
tricky

Post by tricky »

Ok sure, but tomorow as I'm feeling the calling for sleep !
Twice as many valves
pete_rallye

Post by pete_rallye »

Have you heard of a guy called Wayne Schofield? He has a company called Chipwizards in Rochdale. He has much experience with DTA (he mapped my car on an S60) and has been mapping cars for years. I'm fairly certain his rolling road is only a 2wd one but before he had his own premises he hired other peoples for however long the mapping process took. I'm not sure he still does this but it may be worth a call. Drop me a PM if you want his contact details.
Book No. 373 for me!
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Voodoo tuning in Didcot, Oxfordshire? I doubt they have Dynapack though.
Guy
GC book #182
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

My client Darren Drury at Louth Volksworld (see 'Links') knows a 4WD rolling road, they do their Golf GTi race cars there.

GC
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

I have decided to go with Advanced Motorsport & Engineering (Silverstone) after visiting thier premises and having a good long chat with them. They gave all the right answers and ticked all my boxes so hopefully will be on thier Dyno Pak in approximately 5 weeks,
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I shall be recommending ex Brian Hart man Steve Greenald to Andy Wright for his 16v Integrale.

Steve (Essex-based) is highly regarded and has his own in-house stuff for 2WD but for 4WD he rents one local to him. I've known of him by repute for years. He has deleted his website and so it was only by chance via client Mick Wood that I was able to look him up. We had a super & long chat yesterday.

He is comfortable with all the best name systems (DTA, Motec, Omex to name but 3) but will not work with OEM ecu stuff so check first.

07774 773 824

greenald@aol.com

GC
Guy Croft, owner