Lancia Delta Integrale 8v kat RpLab ignition map

Non-engine, eg: aerodynamics, gearboxes, brakes, suspension
Brit01

Re: Lancia Delta Integrale 8v kat RpLab ignition map

Post by Brit01 »

Just a little regarding ground loops from my vacuum tube amplifier building expertise is that you want to use a 'star' grounding system.

These audio valves are extremely sensitive to bad grounding and especially loops that come through as sound in your speakers.

Star grounding and shielding is the only way.
For example, the sensitive inputs from a cd player need to be so well shielded, if you place your finger within an inch of one of these cables this static will be amplified through your speakers if not grounded properly. Same principles apply.

There are plently of sources of information regarding loops and star grounding.

Regards

Chris
delta303

Post by delta303 »

Don’t worry Im an electrician , however I normally work with AC.

Will check for this once I have an RFi meter just incase to track down culprit/s .
Shouldn't be any loops though I suspect may be some noise via the main L bus engine bay bulk head.
all standard wiring there but not direct path to battery terminal OE.
The problem was there before extra earths added , been going on a while.
But I will disconnect the fuel pumps neutral to check if makes worse / better interesting idea.

Something to check is the fact I have the fuel pump relays loose at the moment , the Metal Steel support and cover may reduce noises also.
Faraday cage - theriory is one thing , will test this also .

Thanks.
GC Book # 385
delta303

Post by delta303 »

'star' grounding system , yes .

Its pretty much like this already , as earth bolted rear , centre , front foot well , front engine bay , engine , to front chassis OE points up front.
Replaced all the OE earthing cables and upsized .

Though I may rework the engine earths as flat braided earth straps will work better than stranded PVC cable.

My volt meter reads 12+ volt . rare on these cars:)

The amp sounds amazing “Tubes" . , I have an Yamaha A1 and A1 Celestions 5.1 A4C A6 , A5R. .
A1 amp needs a service however , some dry joints no doubt / needs warming up some to cure , have you worked on these?
Typically everything electrical breaks around me , grumble.
GC Book # 385
Brit01

Post by Brit01 »

Hope Guy doesn't mind us going off topic a little here. Apologies if so.
Don’t worry Im an electrician , however I normally work with AC.
I use AC on the tube filaments and DC for the circuits off course.

Sorry haven't worked on any brands. I make my own - just small headphone amps and pre-amps.
Output transformers are almost impossible to come by here in Uruguay.
One day though I'll bring some over from the UK and build my dream power valve amp.
Tried OTL with 6080 tubes but I don't have enough time on my hands to complete that.
(current power amp is a Carver TFM-55 solid state)

Now we could talk about tube amps for car stereo systems so we don't digress. There are tubes out there that can run on 24 volts or lower. Voltage doubler from 12volts.

Regards

Chris
Alex RP

Post by Alex RP »

Hi Paul,

Wow, the conversation has drifted from ignition map, towards RFI and stereo systems!

I am by no means expert in car electrics, but for sure I know that with OE integrale setup (generator, wiring etc) there are absolutely no issues with the RFI.

How much clearance is there between the hood (when closed) and your HT leads boots? I am sure you know it is good to keep them away. I would suggest you put OE boots at the HT lead ends. Rev counter is extremely sensitive to any issues on the HT side, and its erratic movement may indicate there is unwanted discharge.

You asked why your boost valve duty cycle sticks to 5% in the graph. Well hard to tell, especially since you did not log status bits, which may indicate the ECU has detected a malfunction. In a case of critical malfunction, the ECU will set the boost valve to 5% for component protection. Furthermore, in the sheet you posted before, it is clearly visible that it was not sticking at 5%, but reacting to boost spikes (more on that later). Did you change something in between?

Now back to the boost spikes from the sheet. Those spikes are not real, they come from some kind of electrical issue that you have with the vehicle. Also observe coolant temperature oscillating between 71.3 and 85.6 degrees. This is bad, very dangerous interference. Resulting injection pulsewidth oscillates heavily, since critical inputs swing. Honestly, if it was my car (which is N/A), I wouldn't dare to WOT even in neutral. Did you isolate and fix this electrical issue? Before it gets fixed, there is no point into going in any kind of tuning.

Alex.

P.S. Please bear in mind that I am not a native English speaker, so formulating statements and questions simpler would help me immensely to understand what kind of issues you are having. For example, I faced difficulties following this part:
Come 6000 RPM boost is dropping off to around 1885 millibar with Overboost by passed : not pictured.
Base boost is set at Rod around 1985 millibar. So 5% = around +50millibar while solenoid effective, Pictured.
If Duty / RPM/TPS set lower to around 45duty : The problem is the same and boost 20millbar lower overall.
RPM TPS Duty pictured around 75.
Are the modifiers set to large or small for corrections , or some other setting Iv missed in the control settings?
Sorry for this inconvenience and thanks for understanding.
A. Petri
rp-lab.com